Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E350 4MATIC
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading different topics about our favorite most demanding vehicle. Can anyone tell me what does harmonic balancer means and what it is. And how do you check it and what are the symthoms once it goes bad? Please help me understand all about the harmonic balancer.

Thanks

1999 E320
2002 325i
1990 325i

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
Think of it as a counter balance for the engine. The harmonic balancer is also called the balancing damper and it's function is to provide balance or dampen out vibration produced by a "V" motor. With a "V" configuration, the motor will rock side to side as cylinders on oposite sides of the engine fire. An Inline engine is much smoother by design because there isn't any angle of motion as the engine operates. A vibration is also called a harmonic. The harmonic balancer is added to the front of the engine to balance the vibrations.

When the balancer fails, it may fly apart because the engine is turning at high speeds. Then it can take the radiator, waterpump, and other parts around it with it.

Cracks can for in the material that the damper is made of. The cracks get bigger and as it spins, it can fly apart.

The damper was upgraded after 2000 on the V6 so have yours inspected and upgraded to the new style.

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
And the rubber ring showing in the picture is the part that needs to be inspected for cracks and swelling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there a more detailed explanation of this thing anywhere - such as where specifically it's located down there (seems like the belt winds around more than one thing that looks like that) and if the rubber ring that is shown and mentioned is inspectable without taking something apart.

Thanks,

Brian - Yakima, Wa
2000 E320

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
I'm sure there is a picture for it in this forum if you search for harmonic balancer. But it's easy to find. It is the lower center crankshaft. The part is about $60 from internet shops. If you take it to an independent MB shop, they will probably charge around $200 for labor. If you take it to the dealer, yo're probably looking at $400 to $500.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Again, as a regular inspection of this Harmonic Balancer has been suggested - and, as it's the rubber ring (told here) that needs to be checked, how is that done? Is the rubber ring clearly visible just by opening the hood and looking closely, or is there a disassembly of some kind required?

If it's just the rubber ring that wears out, how can that part cost about $60.00 or more?

I've searched the boards for the Harmonic Balancer and haven't found any better discussion on it than there is here now.

Thanks again.

Brian

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
Disassembly is not required to check the rubber ring in the harmonic balancer. According to my mechanic, you can use a flashlight and "slowly and carefully" run the light around it and check it for any signs of cracking, swelling, or some other irregularities. The rubber ring, when healthy, should be flush with the metal part. The rubber part is not sold separately. You have to buy the entire assembly and that's why it is expensive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you, Tony,

Just the information I needed. I have recently purchased my 2000 E320, which has 90,000 miles on it now. It's in wonderful shape, but keeping an open eye on it closely is surely in my best interest.

Brian - Yakima, WA

·
Registered
2000 E320
172 Posts
Hey Guys, I was able to squeeze my camera in between the engine and radiator so here's some pics of my Harmonic Balancer. You guys think it needs to be replaced soon? I have about 42,000 miles on my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 E350 4MATIC
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank God for this forum because it's full with great amount of information. I just started the topic this week about the Harmonic Balancer and reading what you guys where talking and how many miles it should be changed, I took heed in what you gusy were saying. So, guess what, I took the day off from work and went to the dealer because my E320 has 67k on it. Asked the dealer about the balancer and when the tech checked it out he stated it has a vast amount of wear and needs to be changed. So told the repair tech at Mercedes Benz of Alexandria, Va, to go ahead and take care of it. The final verdict for everything was:

Crank Pulley Labor: 199.80
Vibration AB: 66.15
Screw: 3.92
Total labor & Parts $269.87

·
Registered
262 Posts
jtorre1 - 3/18/2005 11:29 PM

Thank God for this forum because it's full with great amount of information. I just started the topic this week about the Harmonic Balancer and reading what you guys where talking and how many miles it should be changed, I took heed in what you gusy were saying. So, guess what, I took the day off from work and went to the dealer because my E320 has 67k on it. Asked the dealer about the balancer and when the tech checked it out he stated it has a vast amount of wear and needs to be changed. So told the repair tech at Mercedes Benz of Alexandria, Va, to go ahead and take care of it. The final verdict for everything was:

Crank Pulley Labor: 199.80
Vibration AB: 66.15
Screw: 3.92
Total labor & Parts $269.87
JTORRE--- $269.87 is better than a $2069.87 cost if it breaks on you...Nice Move![:D] OLIVENGCO---you are getting close the 50-60k borderline; id suggest you change it @ 45k...just not worth the risk/cost.

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
OLIVENGCO:

You should change it soon. I see some significant wear in some spots. I changed mine when it was in better shape than yours (at 38K miles). It is just a matter of time before it will fly apart on you. I would change it immediately and get a piece of mind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts