Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the harmonic balancer on my G500 (M113) engine yesterday. It had one of the two part numbers considered to be bad in the MBUSA Service Campaign. (Interestingly, there is, apparently, no Service Campaign in Europe according to several sources.) It had not failed, but lots of hairline cracks were visible in the rubber after it was removed. A sure sign that it was on it's way to failure.

It's a pretty easy and straightforward 2 hour job - as long as you have the proper holding tool for the balancer. Without it, the job would be pretty much undoable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How many miles on your '00?

Did you get Europa to pay for anything?

I've never heard back from Anthony (been at least 2-3 weeks).

Figured I'd get it replaced at next oil change.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
greenG - 5/11/2005 11:36 AM

How many miles on your '00?

Did you get Europa to pay for anything?

I've never heard back from Anthony (been at least 2-3 weeks).

Figured I'd get it replaced at next oil change.
50,000 miles. Europa did not pay for anything yet. Anthony never got back to me either. I suspect that they're probably hoping, if they don't say anything, it'll just "go away".

FWIW, the balancer is less than $50 from the right source, the bolt is another couple of bucks and labor right around 2 hrs.

The holding tool can be had for about $100, although I'll rent mine out for considerably less than that.

·
Registered
2000 G500L, 1968 SWISS Mog
246 Posts
DUTCH - 5/12/2005 2:13 AM

FWIW, the balancer is less than $50 from the right source, the bolt is another couple of bucks and labor right around 2 hrs.

The holding tool can be had for about $100, although I'll rent mine out for considerably less than that.
DUTCH,
Do you have part# you can share with us?

Mine is not from MB dealer in Japan. Guess it was imported directly from Germany. So, I don't have any support from Japanese dealer.

Thanks.
Yasu

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
diehardg - 5/12/2005 2:29 AM

DUTCH - 5/12/2005 2:13 AM

DUTCH,
Do you have part# you can share with us?

Mine is not from MB dealer in Japan. Guess it was imported directly from Germany. So, I don't have any support from Japanese dealer.

Thanks.
Yasu
Go to this thread. Lots of details there, including part numbers. Newest P/N is A.112.035.13.00.05.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=119790

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
diehardg - 5/12/2005 12:10 PM

Thanks DUTCH, I've downloaded PDF!

Yasu
The PDF tells you to reuse the old bolt. DON'T!! Get a new one. It's only a couple of bucks; and the new one is an improved upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts