Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just had my 60k service done at the dealership. The Vehicle Master Inquiry was requested and delivered.

At the bottom of the first page that lists vehicle options, radio code etc. There is a box titled "Campaigns". I can only assume this is for recall campaigns.

It's campaign 2005020003 Description "Harmonic ballancer" The start date is 04-05-2005, status - OPEN -.

Looks like free balancer replacements!

Do you have to have a currently failing ballancer? Or can you demand a replacement for piece of mind?

Thanks,

Wally

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i,1999 Lexus 400LS, 2014 e250 BlueTec
635 Posts
It is a design problem so I would think they would have to replace them all. I called Mercedes only to be informed that they know of no recall but they said they would let me know if there is one. I believe what you read is accurate. Are they keeping it quiet?

Raymond
Orange County, CA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sup guys,
I went for an oil change yesterday and the representative notified me that theres a recall on my 2000 E320 for the harmonic balancer. The best thing u can do is just go to the dealer and ask. I'm sure they will set u up for an appointment as to fix it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2000 E320
172 Posts
Just had mine replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago. I have about 42,000 miles on my car. I asked if there was a recall on these balancers and my service manager said he hasn't heard of any. But he went ahead replaced it under warranty. Go ask your dealer if they can replace under warranty if you still have the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Recall just came out this past week I think. Individual owners on record will be notified in stages. Balancer will be checked or replaced if needed. If it's already been done, then there is going to be a procedure for reimbursement of repairs you might have paid for.

Len

·
Registered
635 Posts
E320 with V6 engine has V shape engine with 3 pistons on each side. The piston movement from each side creats vibration. The harmonic balancer balancers out the viberation. It is a metal pulley wrapped around with rubber located about dead center of engine. The engine belt turns the harmonic balancer. When rubber sticks out of its position and comes out, it can be very costly repair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it possible that my 2000 E320, which I have purchased after someone else's lease period at about 90,000 miles and with 91,000 on it now, would qualify for this improvement campaign?

I know I should go to the dealer here in town and ask, but just thought I'd ask for an opinion about it here first. I have looked at the Harmonic Balancer, and it looks quite good to me. And I have not asked for or obtained a "Master Vehicle Inquiry." Perhaps I should do that also.

Thanks,

Brian - Yakima, WA

·
Registered
635 Posts
Since it is a recall item, it should be covered regardless of miles driven. Check yours out as soon as you can to confirm that you can drive a while in current conditon.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
As far as I know the harmonic balancer recall is Strictly for cars built using the M112 engine up until the end of 1999. The original supplier made fualty parts which tended to fail and for some reason the failure never showed up diring testing,... that's why the W140 never used the M112 engine (too many bugs to put into a flagship model).

My Black 210 had it's balancer changed FOC in the UK during a routine service (gave me back the old one) but the blue one,... what a nightmare,... my local dealer wont even order me the newer part since it doesn't show up on their machines yet.

If you do a search I have posted the new (updated) Harmonic balancer part number on this site a few times.

Good luck trying to get your dealer to change it FOC, I'd say pay the $50.00 (parts) and XX (labour) and get a good nights sleep.

Easy[8D]

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
22 Posts
I just called the dealer in San Antonio and, after checking the VIN#, they said that my E 320 was covered by the recall and that they would do the repair. This recall includes 98 to 2000, according to the service rep.

·
Registered
1998 E320 sedan
20 Posts
I called my dealer and asked about the harmonic balancer recall. They told me that they would inspect it and only replace it if it was defective. I would like to have it replaced regardless. Any tips on how to get this done? 98E320

·
Registered
E320
153 Posts
If your harmnc blncr is PN 112 035 00 00
or 112 035 06 00, my understanding is it'll be replaced FOC regardless of any warranty issues.
I haven't checked mine yet (car has under 30K miles and I think 60K is the pocketbook peril point) but if the PN is on the front surface there's a lot of room to get down there w/a mirror and light to check the number.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
pam01ml320 said:
just purchased 2001 ml320 from non mercedes dealer, should I investigate this,was it a dealer recall?
answered in the general forum post...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.