Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 S430 with 30k and am new to Benzworld and the forum and have an interesting story to share.

As I was driving home last Sat afternoon I could smell what could only be a burning rubber smell. I dismissed it as something outside due to the odor was not overwhelming. Pulling away the BATTERY NOT CHARGING SEE WORKSHOP flashed on the immediatly went off. Did this one more time when I stopped at a light. About a half of a mile later I could feel the power steering pump stop working, the light came on again then within two seconds I heard a loud thud noise then grinding.

As you can probably tell I freaked, pulled over and popped the hood. The HARMONIC BALANCE PULLEY actually spun into 3 pieces and came to rest on my fan. It was towed to the dealership and sat there until Monday morning pending a inspection.

Pissed as all hell, I called MBUSA and gave them my VIN number, come to find out there is a advisory on the part due to faulty rubber holding the two pieces of the pulley together. The advisory states that the harmonic balance pulley should be CHECKED and repaired as neccessary.

I had no clue of this nor did I get a letter from MB. So i guess what I am saying is appartently the advisory pertains to more than just the M class released on 04/05/2005. Be warned this whole experience sucked, MB flipped the bill however and replaced the belt and pulley at no cost. I guess what I am getting at is it might be a good idea to call MBUSA and give them your vin to see if you have this advisory on the harmonic balancer as well.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,930 Posts
My letter this week said the problem applies to "a population of 1998-2001 vehicles." My mechanic had pointed the pulley out to me a few months ago, and said the when they let go, they usually take out the oil pan.

The recall says Mercedes will "inspect and repair if necessary." With a faulty design, they had damned well better replace the part. I don't intend to let the thing self-destruct before it is replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts