Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I know it is very subjective, but I am new to Mercedes and looking for help.

I am looking at a new 2013 GLK350. I am wondering for those that have upgraded to the Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo, did you find it was worth the extra charge?

For those that have heard the two in comparison, what were your thoughts? Thank you!

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
2010 GLK 220CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 4M
169 Posts
We have it and would go for it a second time. It's significantly better than the (upgraded) 10 speaker BOSE we have in another car, and I don't think that's a subjective judgement either. :)

Sound with Character for the GLK-Class: Harman Kardon Mercedes GLK-Class. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
His 2013 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Hers 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Kids 2010 "4Matic" Impreza
334 Posts
I have it in both my MB's. When I bought my wife's GLK it was the third item on the list. Vehicle color and Package1 being the first two.
Well worth it.

·
Registered
2008 ML550
7 Posts
I'll be the contrarian. IMHO it's not worth it. I'm not deaf or anything, but the stock system sounds darn good. You would only appreciate the upgrade if you were auditioning the systems back-to-back. At the dealer, you'll be sold on the Harmon, but in daily ownership, you'll be happy with either.

If you have no budget and already have all the options you want, get the Harmon.
If you have to sacrifice any other options to stretch the $1k, don't get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I listened to both at the dealership. I was looking to buy the best available factory system. As I had already ordered the upgrade, I wanted it to sound better. I could not tell the difference (NOTHING). I have no doubt others can hear the difference but I could not. Judging by the salesman's reaction, neither could he.

To be fair, I did not listen to the 2 systems in the same space. I moved from one vehicle to the the next (side by side). Furthermore, we only listened to radio and satellite radio.

Based on my own experience, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Surround Sound and Logic7® options were selected?

Playing high-quality audio CDs and deselect/select the options tells the difference. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, repeatedly switching back & forth (but only radio).

Good to know. Having not purchased a CD in 10 years, I will have to dig up the dusty box and play the old Cd's. Maybe just drive out to an isolated forest at 3 am switch off the engine, roll up the window, and crank it up:rolleyes:

Has anyone tried MP'3 and noticed a difference. How about transferring MP3 songs onto a CD (can transfer approx 70 songs per CD)?. Unfortunately, I will principally be listening to satellite and MP3's. IMO, there is nothing wrong with the stock system. I guess it comes down to personal needs and wants. Either way, the GLK is great even though I'm still waiting for it to be built.

·
Registered
169 Posts
- How about transferring MP3 songs onto a CD (can transfer approx 70 songs per CD)?.
Given the question is whether the quality will be improved or not, is the short answer: no. The (sound) quality of the music is, technically, lost at the very moment of analogue to digital (AD) conversion of it, IMO. No matter (almost) whatever sampling rate or any kind of filtering technique is being used to please the ear's impression of the sound, the digitized music will always be a virtual copy of the real thing.

So transferring MP3, WMA, ASF or any other format to CD will not improve the quality of the music. But of course, by using filtering can the music be "smoothened" during the transfer process.

No wonder why some music lovers in these days have jumped two steps backwards, over CD and tape to listen to the good, old vinyl - with its sinusoidal waves, all (dis-)harmonics and noise. :)

Nicholas: Sorry, I recognize the above is way beyond the topic. :bowdown:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem.

I finally found specs on the base 20 audio system from the dealership. Apparently 100 watts and i believe he said 6 speakers.

Harmon upgrade is listed as 550 watts and 12 speakers. One of those being a subwoofer. Also, the speakers seem to be better quality.

Basing just 6 vs 12 speakers i would think the upgrade would have to sound a bit better. But seems no 2013s here with harmon so still have not heard the upgraded system. I agree though the base system sounds great, but sure would like to compare against Harmon.

·
Registered
2015, ML250 BlueTEC 4W
320 Posts
H K radio upgrade

No problem.

I finally found specs on the base 20 audio system from the dealership. Apparently 100 watts and i believe he said 6 speakers.

Harmon upgrade is listed as 550 watts and 12 speakers. One of those being a subwoofer. Also, the speakers seem to be better quality.

Basing just 6 vs 12 speakers i would think the upgrade would have to sound a bit better. But seems no 2013s here with harmon so still have not heard the upgraded system. I agree though the base system sounds great, but sure would like to compare against Harmon.
Took delivery of our new GLK w/HK sound system. Sounds great. Remember hearing is in the ears of the beholder. 1 of my hobbies is Upgraded audio. Have 5.1 system @ home. It all depends on what is important to you. Also maybe how long you are going to keep your GLK. Had standard system in an MB a few years ago and was not satisfied. Your choice!

·
Registered
55 Posts
People at MB like a lot of bass, even turned down, IMHO. Stock system satisfies the wife for her ears but my BOSE in my Suburban blows the doors off the MB system.

If you get it for a $1000 get the dealer to come off some $$ other options.

·
Registered
2014 C63C Edition 507 , 2013 GLK 4-Matic, 1971 280SEL 4.5
98 Posts
I test drove a GLK with the base system and at lower volumes I could not tell a major difference with my Harmon system in my GLK. It was once you turn it up to a 7 or 8 on a scale of 10 the bass seems to break up the fidelity. I also heard some rattling. I'm not sure if that was due to the speaker or some housing that was vibrating. If you don't crank up the music an keep it in normal volume range then I wouldn't spend the extra $800. I do have to say that the Harmon K system in my GLK sound better than my Bose system in my Tahoe.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
Do these systems come with Dolby Logic or something like that, our 2010 Acura Tsx has 10-speakers and its a dolby something. I listened to it very loud, turned the dolby off and it sounds much better, much deeber bass too. Might be different for your GLK's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Harmon Kardon Logic 7

Two Days ago I collected my 2013 GLK at the factory in Stuttgart, Germany

Driving back to my house in Holland I enjoyed every minute of my Harmon Kardon.

As being an audifiel everybody who says it doesn't make a difference is either deaf or .......

Although the factory set is very good it cannot compare with 510 watt with a Logic 7 amplifier, it cannot!

:bowdown:

·
Registered
'03 E320, '92 F350 Fire Truck, '87 Alfa Milano, '87 Alfa Spider, '79 Alfa Spider, '79 Fiat Spider
16 Posts
a very opinionated opinion ...

I am an opinionated Sound Engineer...

The expensive Harman upgrade adds more power (the good thing), more speakers and Logic 7 but s it worth the price?

The purpose of a “stereo” system is to reproduce faithfully the sound or timbre of the original recorded instruments. I think this statement is not debatable.
The problem lies that since the era of digital sound, super compressed audio files many of us don't remember what the original instrument should sound like. How many of us have stand next to a violin player ?
This is jut a modern phenomena and could also apply to “how many of us do remember what REAL milk tastes like?
So is the quality subject to taste? Not really if we take into consideration my first statement.

So why do people prefer one system over another?
There is big difference in what sounds better to your ear than what sounds more realistic.
Quite easily explained as follows:

It's a cloudy day and I give you a pair of sunglasses.
Wow, suddenly the sky looks better and warmer!
Some might find blue colored glasses better, some might prefer amber ones.
Now I give you plain glasses, and the sky looks shitty again.
Yes indeed, the sky looks worse BUT REALSISTIC.
Nobody disagrees that putting on sunglasses colors the sky?

So hopefully, you get my point.
In a nutshell all these DSP effects (like Logic 7) might make the music sound warmer or maybe more enjoyable to YOUR ears but they distort realism in one way or another.

My opinion on the Harman Kardon upgrade:
The sound isn't bad but definitely not worth the money.
What does it sound like?
Frequency is fairly flat, bass is kinda OK and dry but it “ain't gonna blow you out of your seat”.
The advertised “10 million watt” system lacks dynamics.

The Logic 7 is supposed to give you a 3 dimensional concert like experience?
Bull... When you go to a concert you don't sit on the drummers lap!
It sounds like: "you hear it here, you hear it there, you here it everywhere" but you can't pinpoint where the instrument is coming from.
Almost like the guitarist is sitting on a Kangaroo and hopping around on stage.
In fact I find it very disturbing that some of the stage sounds come from behind you.
PEEKABOO !!!

In a nutshell:
If you like to wear pink sunglasses then go for it.
I just wished that Mercedes would have put some more emphasis on having a system with a tauter bass reproduction, no rattling grilles than this very expensive “cool” effect, called Logic 7

IF you have can spare the room in your trunk, adding a subwoofer might be a wiser upgrade ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts