Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Black SLK55 AMG R171 2005
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Quick question - I am uprating the standard stereo in my slk55 (who orders one without stereo upgrade!!!)

I know the full harmon kardon kit is extra speakers, but is there a difference between the harmon kardon door speakers and the standard ones with low end cd player? i.e. I have ordered HK door speakers in the hope that they are higher output rated, but am beginning to suspect that they are the same as what is in there already.

Is there two part numbers, one for a standard speaker and one for the HK speaker? Am having kit fitted tomorrow (tuesday 1st) so a fast answer if anyone knows might save me a few bucks on wasted fitting costs!

Thanks all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
:confused: Not sure, Contact the SLK expert, DansSLK at SLKWorld.c-o-m. Are you changing out the head unit and speakers or just speakers?
 

·
Registered
Black SLK55 AMG R171 2005
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Head unit too - I somehow ended up trading my old super specced slk55 for a lower mileage but low specced slk55 (via an sl55!). I would not usually touch anyting in an AMG, but the low spec gives me the excuse, so am having fitted the double din pioneer avic allinone system +digital tv and reverse camera etc. On another post, someone said that to fit new speakers was a nightmare because of the crazy shape of the slk door speakers, and that the best way was to order the HK speakers from MB as an upgrade to standard. Just that when they arrived, they looked no different from how the standard ones seem, and am beginning to suspect that the same are used for both systems, just with extra amps and speakers elsewhere in the car if you order the HK upgrade from new...

It's no biggie, I just will send them back, but don't want to waste the cost of purchase and fitting if no different

:eek:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Hooplescat said:
I somehow ended up trading my old super specced slk55 for a lower mileage but low specced slk55 (via an sl55!).
:confused: Just how OLD was that "old super specced SLK55". 2005? And what did year is the one you have? Had to be some logic there?
Hooplescat said:
I'm having fitted the double din pioneer avic allinone system +digital tv and reverse camera etc.
:) I love the Pioneer AVICs. I have the AVIC-D1 in my 2004 Mazda6. That (double DIN) radio is fantastic. Add-ons for XM or Sirius, Bluetooth, DVD, iPod. Too bad they're not a direct replacement for the MB SLK radios. Good luck with your install. Please keep us up-to-date and provide some pics of your efforts.
 

·
Registered
SLK350
Joined
·
834 Posts
No, it's not hard. See my post. I have all my speakers redone. I'm very very satisfied. Stock non-HK or even HK speakers are absolute crap.

Get the Hertz Space 8 (8" midbass woofer) and the Hertz HT100 (3.5" midrange). You can use any decent tweeter you like (I'd recommend the Hertz HT25 to match). You will need a 3-way crossover to connect all 3 components into a 3-way system. Get a clean 2-channel amplifier >100W/channel to power these. That's all you need. It'll cost about the same as an HK upgrade and sound 20 times cleaner and louder.

There are other 3 way sets, but I did my research and fitment wise, only the Space 8 fits without heavy modification. Dynaudios sound great but the basket of the 8" woofer won't fit. Do a search for "Audio 20 upgrade." I have pics of my install.

I second that for the Pioneer AVIC's. Get the AVIC-Z1. You will not be disappointed.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350 Diamond Silver
Joined
·
59 Posts
slktyperice said:
No, it's not hard. See my post. I have all my speakers redone. I'm very very satisfied. Stock non-HK or even HK speakers are absolute crap.

Get the Hertz Space 8 (8" midbass woofer) and the Hertz HT100 (3.5" midrange). You can use any decent tweeter you like (I'd recommend the Hertz HT25 to match). You will need a 3-way crossover to connect all 3 components into a 3-way system. Get a clean 2-channel amplifier >100W/channel to power these. That's all you need. It'll cost about the same as an HK upgrade and sound 20 times cleaner and louder.

There are other 3 way sets, but I did my research and fitment wise, only the Space 8 fits without heavy modification. Dynaudios sound great but the basket of the 8" woofer won't fit. Do a search for "Audio 20 upgrade." I have pics of my install.

I second that for the Pioneer AVIC's. Get the AVIC-Z1. You will not be disappointed.
Will vouch for that! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Did a similar install to slktyperice. Definately better than stock or the HK system.
 

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
Joined
·
421 Posts
slktyperice said:
No, it's not hard. See my post. I have all my speakers redone. I'm very very satisfied. Stock non-HK or even HK speakers are absolute crap.
...
The HK are not crap. Glad you like what you changed to better, but the HK are not crap.

Not sure on what you base that statement. Are you saying they don't sound clear and surprisingly lifelike with good fidelity (which is more than you need when driving down the road with the top down), or do you mean with the HK as you drive down the street you can't rattle the house windows out of their panes (because I doubt the HK would do that. nor would I want such a system)?
 

·
Registered
SLK350
Joined
·
834 Posts
mtiede said:
The HK are not crap. Glad you like what you changed to better, but the HK are not crap.

Not sure on what you base that statement. Are you saying they don't sound clear and surprisingly lifelike with good fidelity (which is more than you need when driving down the road with the top down), or do you mean with the HK as you drive down the street you can't rattle the house windows out of their panes (because I doubt the HK would do that. nor would I want such a system)?
They're crap for what you're paying. Contrary to what most people think when they heard HK, HK makes great HT receivers (I have one). One thing they don't do that well is make speakers. The HK has decent clarity, decent bass, decent loudness, but definitely lacks the general quality that should come with a $1600 option.

I'm not looking to blow out anybody's windows, but I'm looking for good midrange and high end which really brings out crisp and clear vocals while the midbass hits hard enough for me to hear it at high speeds while top down. It is not possible to get earth-shattering bass unless you sacrifice all of your trunk for a dual 12" setup powered by some really powerful amp.

If you're not an audiophile or don't like aftermarket installations, then by all means, go for the HK system (IMHO only the Nav/HK option is somewhat worth it). If you're looking to go mod-crazy, save your money, get the Audio20, and do an aftermarket install. For the same money or cheaper than the HK, you can get a phenomenally better sounding system that can handle the higher volumes.
 

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
Joined
·
421 Posts
Okay, slktypierce, now I get where you were coming from. For the money...

I have the NAV/HK and am happy (though I liked the Bose in the SLK 320 slightly better). I have been pleasantly surprised at the amount and clarity of the bass WITH the right sound source. Since I don't like hearing other people's radios, I was quite surprised when my wife had the radio going and top down and as I approached the car, I could hardly hear it at all. That is the type of sound I want. Hear it IN the car and not from in the HOUSE.



I wonder if you can actually order an SLK WITHOUT a radio, just wiring and save a little money?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top