Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the Harmon Kardon audio system on my 164. Noticed that there is a large woofer located in the rear bay on the driver side. It is behind the same large plastic cover as the first aid kit. What i find interesting is that there are no holes in the plastic cover to let the sound into the cargo area. Anyone else find this to be strange?:confused:

·
Registered
2008 ML550 Black/Black P3, Leather, Hitch, Ipod
4 Posts
That's the subwoofer and there is no need for holes. Low frequency sound is non-directional. In other words, you hear the bass, but you can't tell that the subwoofer is located on the left side right? Perfectly ok. Try listening with the first aid cover removed and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
2008 ML320 CDI
92 Posts
That's the subwoofer and there is no need for holes. Low frequency sound is non-directional. In other words, you hear the bass, but you can't tell that the subwoofer is located on the left side right? Perfectly ok. Try listening with the first aid cover removed and see if it makes a difference.
Even though low frequencies are omni-directional, It does make a difference having the subwoofer ported. I installed an 8" grill in the hatch cover, and now low frequencies are crisper. Holding a hand in front of the grill, you can feel the increased air movement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Even though low frequencies are omni-directional, It does make a difference having the subwoofer ported. I installed an 8" grill in the hatch cover, and now low frequencies are crisper. Holding a hand in front of the grill, you can feel the increased air movement.
I have hk too and your post sounds like a good idea. The only thing I probably would like to get is a gray coloured 8" grill to match the interior (picky, picky...):)

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I think the HK setup was designed to work exactly as equipped.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
To tarponbeach: Any special clips to hold the grillle? Hopefully, it won't rattle.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
To tarponbeach: Any special clips to hold the grillle? Hopefully, it won't rattle.
Maybe the same clips Mike Jones the rapper uses on his (diamond and jewel encrusted) grill at the club.:)

·
Registered
2008 ML320 CDI
92 Posts
Got the grill from Speaker Grill Repair, Replacement Grill Cloth, and Speaker Accessories

It is a two piece grill. The mounting ring screws to the OEM cover, then the grill press fits on. No rattles. I used the 8" grill, but because of the curvature of the panel, the 6.5" grill would probably work better. I was going to paint it to match the interior, but was concerned about chipping from cargo in the rear hatch. The whole install took about ten minutes. I cut the hole using a jig saw, with fine tooth blade.

·
Registered
2006 ML500
11 Posts
Hey guys! I never made a proper introduction here so you guys probably don't know me. I drive a W164 '06 ML500 with the entertainment package, just like what you guys have pictured here.

Anyways, Tarpoon, you did really great with that mod. I usually just keep the cover off. Actually, I'm on these boards trying to look for advice on adding some extra subs to my ML. If you guys don't mind, could anyone point me somewhere?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I removed the sub cover today and cranked up some tunes and noticed quite a difference in bass. Maybe it was just in my head, but I'm going to do the speaker cover mod as well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
ML350
686 Posts
The sound is supposed to come up through the grilles just below the back side windows but as you guys have noticed, the cover does limit the bass.. One option is to take the cover to an aftermarket shop and have them remove the carpet and perforate the area in front of the speaker and then glue it back. The sound will travel through the carpet and the panel will not look any different. The other option is the grille which can be painted gray to match.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts