Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'90 300SL
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i remember reading somewhere that if the hardtop is not stored properly (harness or stand) that it damages it... is this true?

Thanks

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Hey i remember reading somewhere that if the hardtop is not stored properly (harness or stand) that it damages it... is this true?

Thanks
I believe the main danger from a harness is to the rubber seals that the side windows contact. If these are squashed for a period of time, you will have wind noise or water ingress. I'm not sure if you have a metal or Pano roof but I think the seal arrangement is different for each type. My Pano hangs for 6 months in a home made harness which doesn't contact the actual seals at all, and I've had no problems but many people prefer a stand if they have the floorspace. If you're forced to remove the roof by yourself, you really do need a hoist (electric or manual) to be safe. They are fairly cheap to buy and once mine has done its job, I attach lots of rubber bungees for extra safety. Many members have posted photos of their home made hoists. Hope this helps.
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts

·
Registered
'90 300SL
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info!

I have it now standing up on the floor leaning against the wall... Is this bad for it? if it is ill be sure to get a stand because i have space for it

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
I think as Steve6 says, as long as you are not binding seals you should be good. You could also put a sample carpet square under the backside to give it some cushion too. Just watch that the prongs aren't under pressure on the back side sitting on the floor.

Relatives have had theirs on the floor like that for ever and works just fine.

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
I have it now standing up on the floor leaning against the wall... Is this bad for it? if it is ill be sure to get a stand because i have space for it
That should be fine as long as you have something to keep it from getting scratched. Every one of these cars I have seen is scratched along the anodized strip along the back edge. I'm guessing it is because someone stood it up against a wall and allowed the garage floor to scratch the edge. (including my own car, done by a previous owner)

Of course, try to ensure that it can't fall over or slide away from the wall.

If you plan to hang the top from a hoist, here's my design - a example of a jig that takes the weight of the top on the inner headliner instead of on the window channels, to avoid compressing them: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1508411-another-homemade-hardtop-hoist-design.html

·
Registered
2005 ml350 2001 e55 amg
144 Posts
Putting it on the ground probably isn't that bad. Just make sure you put something under it where ever it's touching the ground to ensure you don't scratch it. Maybe a towel or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts