Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish to replace the seals so my new panoramic roof mates as well to the frame as my original top did. Besides the pricey window seals (mine are worn and the windows drag on closing), what are the pertinent ones I need to order?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,065 Posts
As I understand them, your original hardtop should have had only had 1 seal for the windows. If your pano is the same, then there's only 1 seal on that. And the hardtop seal was like $700+ when I last priced them.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your kind reply. Yes, that seal is pretty expensive, but I'll replace it in the spring when I pop the pano. How about any rubber on the body? I thought I'd replace the pads on the top of the windshield pillars. Anything else I should think of?

Ben

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information. I have seen the parts diagram, but it's a bit abstract to me, as unless you're looking at the parts in place, it's hard to know what's really essential. When I have my IRS do the work, I'll report back. Armed with the information you guys have provided, my plan is to replace the main B pillar to pillar gasket, the two A pillar pads, and the rear gasket. Maybe it's overkill, but I love this car and I want it to be as good as possible. Wish me luck; although it will probably but April or May before I do the work.

Thanks again...

Ben

·
Registered
1999 SL500
4 Posts
If you're not looking at a parts diagram, these are for a '99 SL500 hardtop (w/glass = pano):

1999 Mercedes SL 500 Convertible HARDTOP ATTACHMENT PARTS

1999 Mercedes SL 500 Convertible HARDTOP

From that, I'd think maybe the big seal below the rear window. But I'm not sure. I now have 4 hardtops and am trying to figure out why some fit perfect on one car but not another. So....
It's because each top must be precisely fitted to each car with next to no room for give. The specs are in mm. Even when you replace seals and think it should fit it won't unless you adjust the entire roof by all pick point positions per vehicle according to instruction guidelines of Mercedes Benz. Every rooftop is adjusted to each car and any changes to it will throw it out. I would replace the back seal and the one large rap around seal and the top windshield seal at the same time so when the seals seat they will be all perfect then. When you only replace 1 or 2 of them it still can throw of all the pic points and it is finicky as 1 point can throw off the rest so be patient and most dealerships who do the replacement of the seals make sure they have old technicians doing it as the younger ones were not trained for this kind of procedure & lack experience. I had an insurance claim of mine and the dealerships in my location could not do it in 2 states. If you are down south you will have more luck finding people who can actually do it right. I also use to have a roof that was perfect and never made a noise or leak water but after the dealership tried 5 times and still couldn't do it correctly and damaged my car in many ways besides now whenever you drive it there is creaking noises that weren't there before there attempted repair. If you do the seals yourself you will need special tools and more replacement parts then just seals. I also was surprised that the dealership stated after they did the work that they can't guaranty it will not leak which is a joke when all seals being replaced are just that seals and should never be leaking when new but remember each mold of each cast lot is going to be different. Call around. I am an old Mercedes mechanic and in our state when it's insurence related it must be repaired by a facility or else I would have done it myself & wasted years of grief. In the long run I ended up having to redo mine myself because the noises and lack of adjustments proven by other dealerships that were way out and water leaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts