Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 W107 SL. I am having a hard time removing the hardtop for summer driving. The pin at the bottom rear of the hardtop will not disengage after the lash is disengaged. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: I have a 1986 W107 SL. I am having a hard time removing the hardtop for summer driving. The pin at the bottom rear of the hardtop will not disengage after the lash is disengaged. Any suggestions?<p>I had the same problem on my car. The primary problem I discovered was that there is a plastic nut that keep the cable, that connects to the latch, in place. If this nut strips, the pin will not disengage. <p>To get the top off, lift and rotate the top to the side until you pass the catch. the top should lift right off. Once off, adjust the cable (and nut) so the latch will engage. To keep the nut in place, I tightly wrapped electrical tape behind the nut and place a zip tab around the tape to avoid it from moving.<p>I hope it helps.<p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: I have a 1986 W107 SL. I am having a hard time removing the hardtop for summer driving. The pin at the bottom rear of the hardtop will not disengage after the lash is disengaged. Any suggestions?<p>I had the same problem on my car. The primary problem I discovered was that there is a plastic nut that keep the cable, that connects to the latch, in place. If this nut strips, the pin will not disengage. <p>To get the top off, lift and rotate the top to the side until you pass the catch. the top should lift right off. Once off, adjust the cable (and nut) so the latch will engage. To keep the nut in place, I tightly wrapped electrical tape behind the nut and place a zip tab around the tape to avoid it from moving.<p>I hope it helps.<p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
: : I have a 1986 W107 SL. I am having a hard time removing the hardtop for summer driving. The pin at the bottom rear of the hardtop will not disengage after the lash is disengaged. Any suggestions?<p>I had the same problem on my car. The primary problem I discovered was that there is a plastic nut that keep the cable, that connects to the latch, in place. If this nut strips, the pin will not disengage. <p>To get the top off, lift and rotate the top to the side until you pass the catch. the top should lift right off. Once off, adjust the cable (and nut) so the latch will engage. To keep the nut in place, I tightly wrapped electrical tape behind the nut and place a zip tab around the tape to avoid it from moving.<p>I hope it helps.<p><br><p>Txs, I'll try that. Does it matter which side to rotate--left or right?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The direction of rotation is not important. Just as long as you turn past the hook. When you do rotate, shake and lift at the same time. It should come off. (It is a two man job.)<br>

·
Registered
1999 ML320, 2001 ML320, 1982 380SL, 2006 ML350
55 Posts
WOW time warp

I was going to reply "thats why I keep a screw driver in the side pocket."

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
The direction of rotation is not important. When you do rotate, shake and lift at the same time. It should come off. (It is a two man job.)
I assume he was talking about the hard top, not the original poster's wife/girlfriend/SO.

^^The above was posted from beautiful downtown Wenatchee, WA, where I'm stuck in a hotel until dinner reservations at 6:00. But I did see two nice 560SLs today. Who knew central WA was bogarting the 107s?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts