Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Sl 500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hardtop on my 1995 Sl 500 will not lock into place at the rear attachments. The front attachments are locked, but the rear will not lower. Now, when I activate the switch, nothing happens except for a blinking red light on the switch. The result is that the front attachments are locked so the top cannot be removed, but the rear of the top can be lifted out of the holes.
I drove several miles to make sure the battery was charged sufficiently but same problem.
Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
98 sl500
6 Posts
Computer is Fried

I had similiar problem. Someone was lowering soft top and key was removed from Ignition during the process. Front came down locked rear went down did not lock fully. After that red light blinked and switch did nothing.

Main computer in trunk was toast. $4000 with labor.

·
Registered
91 300 sl red/pala
21 Posts
Hardtop latching

Dear sir or madam

I think your problem is with the adjustments on the rear latches. I had similar probs on my 91 300sl,
You can purchase a locking tool from mercedes #1295870066 (the 7 could be a 1 too hard to read)
You can have a friend push the button, take the locking tool (latches are in the trunk near the deck lid brackets look behind the small plastic piece on both sides, lock one side then the other. This will work for the short term. YOU MUST HAVE A TOOL ANYWAY
never know when the hydralics will quite working.

The dealer can readjust the back locks for a few bills

good luck Lewis

·
Registered
300SL
2 Posts
hardtop problem

Try removing the hardtop manualy using the special tool supplied in the tool kit. Once the top is removed, again using the special tool ensure all four locks are locked open, you will hear them klick and lock into position. You will know that they are locked out correctly when you replace the hard top as it wont sink into the locks. Once the hardtop has been placed back on the car and is stood on the locks operate the hood switch, it should now lock down. You may find you have fault codes on the soft top controller which will need re-setting. It could be that the locks have just gone out of sync (at best) or the soft top controller is on its way out (at worst)

·
Registered
sl320, 911C2
3 Posts
Did you turn off the engine when doing the procedure?...

Did you turn off the engine when doing the procedure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts