Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560 SL
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1987 560 SL and want to get a hardtop hoist. I found three out there, only two were seemingly good. One was from IMC and has a solid foam bar that goes under the top and a clip that goes to the rear window, the other is an EZ Top with padded sheepskin pads that curl under to rest against the inside of the top edge and another pad that sits on the top near the front. Anybody know which is best or if there are others out there? I have looked but could not find any. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1989 MB 560 SL
3 Posts
EZ Top

I have the EZ Top hoist, and am very happy with it. It's easy to operate and is gentle on the top. I have the manual crank configuration, which comes with a drill attachment that allows you to use a drill in the place of the crank handle.

·
Registered
1996 S600 Coupe, 1998 SL500
7 Posts
I am shopping for a hoist now. The EZ top looks very well designed and engineered..but darn expensive. The only advantage I see is no-touch to gutters and edges.
Anyone know if its worth it...i.e. Do the other types adversely affect the top when it is stored on the hoist?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I used the manual hoist, and then put it on a cart. I never could stand it hanging and swaying in the air. Always had visions of falling on the car. I had the MB cart and cover, the cart collapsed when not in use and had casters

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
I bought one when I bought the car, and then I realized that I could NEVER, NEVER trust the thing hanging over my head. So, I made a stand and sold the hoist.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
210 Posts
Paranoid about the hoist

strife2 said:
I bought one when I bought the car, and then I realized that I could NEVER, NEVER trust the thing hanging over my head. So, I made a stand and sold the hoist.
My carpenter brother-in-law hadn't seen the hoist for more than 3 seconds when he asked, "You sure you got that thing into a joist?" -- I am sure, after I checked about 30 times . . . I haven't seen anyone say they've had one fail. Do I really run the risk of having it (1) fall or (2) bend the top? Space is a real premium in the garage already, and the hard top has been hanging for a while . . . am I really building a little wooden stand this weekend?

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
I put this together for my top in about an hour. Chain hoist helped with the lifting part.

·
Registered
black/black '09 SL63, '07 SL550, '09 Porsche Carrera Cab, '10 Porsche Cayenne S
79 Posts
As heavy as the top is, if it weren't in a joist, you would have found out real quick. We almost dropped the thing the first time we removed it from the car by hand. Even being careful, it would be very easy to damage the car with the rear pin on the car deck........Needless to say, we will not put it back on until the end of summer.....

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,189 Posts
Built my own

I had a ton of big sailboat gear so it was easy to find the right blocks and right purchase. Did the crossbar out of aluminum tube and seat belt webbing and it works great. It is a little spooky with it hanging from the beams in the garage, but I tethered it so it wouldn't twist and swing. Gets the darn thing out of the way. I think after my first winter of hardtopping - I took it out at least once a week for a good drive when no snow - that the benefit wasn't worth it. I think mine is now in pretty permanent storage. Softtopping from here on it. Heater blasts out so much heat that the drafts from the convertible top are no big deal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Glad to hear you have soft top drafts too. I was on way to shop last week and it was raining and I got a few drops blowing in on my face! And talk about wind noise from the sides where windows meeting weather stripping.........

·
Registered
1986 560SL
210 Posts
scottATLGA said:
Glad to hear you have soft top drafts too. I was on way to shop last week and it was raining and I got a few drops blowing in on my face! And talk about wind noise from the sides where windows meeting weather stripping.........
I'm going (1) to use Goop to glue new weatherstripping to the underside of the canvas above the windows, then (2) slide in some new window top seals.

Regarding (1) do you think it's okay to use Goop? What do I have to do to get the leading edge of the weatherstripping out from between the canvas and the top frame? (Removing the screw on my GAHH top doesn't seem to loosen anything up.)

With respect to (2) do I press the little metal clips into the seal first, then slide it in? I suppose if I use the old seal as a guide, I'll be putting it in the right place . . .

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,185 Posts
scottATLGA said:
I was on way to shop last week and it was raining and I got a few drops blowing in on my face!
Scott! My Man!
I was beginning to think I was the only one who drove my 107 in the rain! Isn't it great the way it seems so surefooted on a wet road. I look for rainy days sometimes so that I can go splashing through the puddles like I did when I was a kid on my bike.

Object in picture bears no resemblance to Dig.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is great! I know if I got around the windows that I would also get water too in rain, and I did. I think the weatherstripping was replaced when the soft top was replaced last year by the prior owner, but it doesn;t seem like it. I just turn the radio up louder. I cruised up to 90 on the interstate, so I guuess the motor is running pretty good too! This car seems to drive better once it's been driven an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
KTT said:
Regarding (1) do you think it's okay to use Goop?
I'd use weatherstrip glue, but maybe that's just me.

KTT said:
What do I have to do to get the leading edge of the weatherstripping out from between the canvas and the top frame? (Removing the screw on my GAHH top doesn't seem to loosen anything up.)
Partially collapse the canvas top and that'll give you the room you need.

KTT said:
With respect to (2) do I press the little metal clips into the seal first, then slide it in?
They don't slide in. Put the back half of the new strip into the channel, locking it into place. Then use a rigid plastic something-or-other (I used a spatula, but got in trouble for ruining it and had to buy a new one) to compress the front of the seal into place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts