Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280SL 1982
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to get a replacement hardtop for my 280SL and I am having trouble with the fitting of it. The problem is in the fixing that does into the nearside 'B' pillar. The drivers side fits in perfectly and locks, as do those on the windscreen header rail, but the passangers side will not go in far enough to lock.
Is the fixing adjustable? The lug needs to go about 1/2 to 3/4 inch further into the pillar to lock. I have been aplying some force to the hardtop to make it seat, but without success. Is this normal, or should the fitting of the top easy. Apart, that is, from the weight.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
4 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but I've noticed on my hardtop (1987) the B pillar bolts are c...

I don't know if this helps, but I've noticed on my hardtop (1987) the B pillar bolts are completely threaded. Removeable if I wanted to take them out. Since it only takes 1/4 turn to lock, I would assume I could make them longer, by 1 or 2 turns, or shorter by 1 or 2 turns.

Not sure if this applies to the 280's, but thought I'd offer.

I'm new to the community, and have had the hard top on only to transport, but once the weather turns colder will experiment w/this.

John

·
Registered
280SL 1982
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, John, I will take the hard top off and investigate. The 'hard top weather' has alr...

Thanks, John, I will take the hard top off and investigate. The 'hard top weather' has already arrived here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts