Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
!973 450SL, 1985 280SL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1973 450SL and am ready to remove the hardtop for the first time (my first time, not the car's). The owner's manual that came with the car is written in German, no help there. Can someone with experience give me a brief 'walk thru' on the procedure? It will be much appreciated, thank you.
Larry

·
Registered
!973 450SL, 1985 280SL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My '73 450 was shipped over from GE in 1998, has the small bumpers and no smog junk.
Larry

·
Registered
!973 450SL, 1985 280SL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fellow I from whom I purchased the car bought it from a little old lady in Hiedelberg, GE in 1995 while stationed there, she had bought it new in '73. He shipped it home in '98. The car didn't come equiped with A/C or power windows, it has the Euro bumpers. the car has less than 100K miles; yes, the metric speedo has been replaced, but it still has the original radio. I can do a nice photo spead and post them if you'd like.
Larry

·
Registered
1998 S210 E320 black/mushroom, 1984 R107 500SL #3904 black/black
58 Posts
A photo spread would be great.

It is appearent that you have a unique SL with a very interesting history.
You should include a write-up of the history as well as any documentation that you may have from the previous owner and the little old lady from Heidelburg.

We have a forum here on Benzworld.org dedicated to the SL and SLC vehicles ( R/C 107) that you should visit. You'll find plenty of information on your car, a complete technical section on pm and repair, plus a bunch of wacky guys and gals who have years of experience, and that are more than willing to share information for whatever issues you may with your new purchase.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
!973 450SL, 1985 280SL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will work on the photo spread/article over the weekend and hopefully get the hard top removed. I will email the PO and see if he will allow me to use his name in the article.
I have visited the 107 forum and learned a considerable amount about the car's systems by reading a thread by "The Proctologist" entitled "The Comprehensive Illustrated Djet fuel injection system (72-75 350-450SL) Thread". By doing the 'contact spray' trick on all the plug-in connectors associated with the injection system I was able to correct a serious engine misfire and idle problem that would have cost a bundle at the MB dealers. I recommend that thread as 'required reading' for all Benz owners who want to save a few bucks and keep their sweet little machine running smoothly.
Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts