Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had intended to remove the hard top on my 560SL a couple of days ago as the good weather is upon us. “Honey do” projects got in the way and I finally got to it this morning.

The car is new to me, purchased in January, and this is the third time I removed the hard top. The first time was at purchase when I helped the PO remove it so I could check the condition of the soft top. This was done with some difficulty as the small locking lever that releases the pin at the back of the hard top was not functioning properly. I was ignorant of this system as my 113 has a simple single lever release that has never presented a problem. I was surprised that taking the top off was so difficult. The PO was apparently not aware of this problem.

A couple of weeks after purchase I again removed the hard top as I had planned a visit to a few soft top suppliers to price a replacement soft top. I did this removal alone with the aid of the hoist in my garage that I use for my 113 top removal and again I had difficulties but finally succeeded in getting the hard top off. After this experience I started researching the problem here on this forum and found that I was experiencing a common problem.

When I started the removal process today I was armed with a bent coat hanger, allen wrenches and needle nosed vice grips in case I had difficulty with the small locking pin/release lever. My first attempts at releasing the back center pin with the small locking lever were unsuccessful. I tried a bent coat hanger and an allen wrench in the hole adjacent to the center pin with no luck. The roof was loose on the car except for the rear center pin being blocked but I had not tried elevating the roof with my hoist.

After lunch, a rest and a further review of the information in the EGv107 I had another go. This time I attached the hoist and lifted the roof so that it was elevated about four inches at the windshield. At the pin location in the rear, the roof was elevated about an inch. With the roof elevated in this manner I was able to release the hook holding the pin with my bent coat hanger.

After I removed the hard top and raised the soft top out of the storage well, I expected to find a problem with the cable from the small lever at its origin behind the drivers seat. This was not the case. There was no movement of the cable sheath in this area and all appeared tight there. See two pictures, one with lever in open position and one in closed (locked) position. The problem was at the other end of the cable at the mechanism under the center pin. Activation of the small locking lever barely moves the locking hook. There is a gap between the cable sheath and the housing of the mechanism thus the cable does not move the hook. See the two pictures, one with the small lever in locked position and one in the unlocked position. I don’t know if there was originally a spacer of some type here that filled this gap. Can some one provide a picture of an original setup? If there is not a missing spacer between the cable sheath and the housing I suppose I can just adjust the cable length to reduce this gap to zero. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
That looks similar to mine. I think that white plastic/nylon piece around the cable allows adjustment (with the clip undone). I had to play around with mine a bit after installing a new soft top as I had similar issues with the release of the hard top. Not sure if that helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aussimerc, I will try to get back to it later today see if it can be adjusted there. The spring clip and plastic/nylon part seems so undisturbed I thought there might have been another plastic collar at the other end of the cable that had possibly broken and gone astray over the years. I will have a go and report back.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
I didn’t read your thread, but the fastest “solution” is to add a spacer here.

Zip tie. Picture hanger. Whatever works. It’s a ton easier than properly adjusting the wire. Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just went into the garage and did this even though my release pin was just a little bit finicky with soft top. Wow, what a difference works so much better. My release pin had always been more of a problem with the hard top but I’m confident that won’t be an issue any more, can’t wait to try it. Simplest fix I’ve done to the 107 yet!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Carl Moser discovered that gap on his 380. There I learned I also had a slight gap which sometimes caused problems. In my case I can just hold the small locking lever all the way to its stop with one hand while releasing the lock with the other. *POP*

Just a millimeter gap will cause it to stick. So if you have only a slight gap, try putting some pressure on the locking lever (un-locking).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is another solution. Cut the hard plastic wall anchor to a length to fit the gap. Split the saved piece with the box cutter. Insert a small nail in the split to hold it open enough to slip on the cable in the gap. Add a drop of super glue and remove the nail. Maintain pressure on joint until glue is dry. Voila!!

Works fine, we will see how it holds up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I had the same problem with my hood release. I used a tie-wrap to fill the gap. No gluing, no splitting, just insert the tail end of the tie-wrap into the head of the tie-wrap with the exposed wire captive inside the tie-wrap loop and pull the tie-wrap closed until the clicking stops. Done.

If you need to take up more room, add a second tie-wrap. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you feel adventurous you can remove the four nuts on the mechanism, pull the cable and add a few of those little washers you use with pop rivets. I have to admit I do like the cable tie...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just removed hard top yesterday and was having a little trouble withe rear catch. So,I'm thinking I have no trouble with soft top. So we lifted straight up on the rear first and it came right out. which is the way the soft top releases. I'm sure most know this already but thought I would throw it out there..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
longbeach1
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing