Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 SLK 230 and I am having issues with the hard top.

I was showing my new purchase to my friends and as I was opening the top I turned off the engine part way through the opening process. I put the key back into the on position and the top would not open. I tried the switch a couple more times and got the top to close.

Now when I try to open or close the windows will go up and down and i can hear the pump turning on, but nothing else is working or moving.

The red light stays on the open/close switch.

Do you have any ideas? :crybaby2:

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
That's a new one on me.
It is probably just a coincidence that the roof failed at the time you were showing it off and decided to turn off the engine, but you may have screwed up the sequencing of the system by doing that.
I think I would disconnect the negative side of the battery for at least 20 minutes and let the computers reset, and then see what happens…. :(

Welcome to the Club, and I hope you enjoy your stay with us..... :)

When you get a chance add your location and model/year to your avatar, it sometimes helps when you need an answer.

·
Registered
02 - 32 (Stock); 99 SLK230 (RIP); 81 CJ7 (Fully MOD)
399 Posts
This is just a thought as it happened to me before (crashed a hardhat between the roof & under the roll bar). :D I had to open release the roof manually :(
Make sure the allen bolt on the reservoir is tight as no fluid, etc escapes. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1996 S600 (Sebastian), 1999 SLK230 Kompressor (Tie Fighter)
638 Posts
poor benems...you were anticipating impressing your colleges with your lovely benz and then this happens. what a disapointment and embarrasment. sorry to hear of your demise. i hope you can recoupe your status with your friends. be well.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
I agree with the reset.

Next time leave the engine running OR you may catch your arm etc in the works.

Let us know how you get on.

Note: Before you disconnect neg batt lead purchase an Matsons Antizap and fit across pos to ground.

Bazzle

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It works!

Well I finally got the top to work. I tried to reset the system by unhooking the negative side of the terminal. That corrected the red light problem.

The hydraulic fluid was low in the reservoir. I filled it up and it works!

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts