Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280SL 1982
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 'new' hard top is white and the car is a colour called Thistle Green (pale metallic green). I bought the top because the price was right and it is in excellent condition, ignoring the colour. However should I paint it?
Now I know they were all painted the same colour as the body by MB, and I think the contrast looks quite snappy. But opinions in this household differ, naturally, and I am being urged to get it painted ASAP.
Do other members have contrasting coloured hardtops,what is the general view? Come on people I need allies.

·
Registered
380 SL
31 Posts
I vote "Paint." To have the top and body different colors make you look like the odd amn o...

I vote "Paint." To have the top and body different colors make you look like the odd amn out.

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
I'd agree and say paint it.
I did however the other day see a nice red W113 280SL with ...

I'd agree and say paint it.
I did however the other day see a nice red W113 280SL with a contrasting black roof and black steel hub-caps.

·
Registered
'89 560SL
47 Posts
I've seen the occasional 113 with a different color for the hardtop, often matching the wh...

I've seen the occasional 113 with a different color for the hardtop, often matching the wheel covers, and AFAIK it was a possibility when ordering new. I've not seen it done on a 107 aside from one car in the ads in Mercedes Enthusiast, and AFAIK it was not done by the factory, perhaps excepting the odd special order. For the 107, I'd say paint it.

·
Registered
280SL 1982
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's a lot of help. Completely outnumbered, and in a corner I have had to make the ...

Well that's a lot of help. Completely outnumbered, and in a corner I have had to make the arrangements to have it painted.
However to change the subject, looking at the pictures of cars in the previous posts, the 'euro' spec. cars all have round head-lights; was that altered by choice, or is it a requirement by the transport authorities over there.
I also note the state of the pavement in one picture, my recent experience of driving in Cal. was the poor state of the road surfaces. Something we are always complaining about here.

·
Registered
'89 560SL
47 Posts
About the foureyes look..

The US required sealed-beam headlights, and no others, until fairly recently. MB 107s manufactured to US specs all had the four-eyed look with two sealed-beam units per side, and Euro spec cars converted to meet US spec had the substitution made in order to be certified.
We finally became much more enlightened about lighting, and now can replace US-spec lights with the original design for a few hundred $US. [:0]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts