Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
560SEC / 850CSI / 525i
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically my 560SEC seems to allow itself to steer so far left or right that the front wheels feel like they are being pushed and not turning at all! I changed the wheels, steering damper, idler arm and some other suspension bits so far and its made no difference.

You get 90% movement then the last 10 is like it snaps even further in an instant. Is there meant to be some soft of bump stop somewhere to keep this in check? Its a horrible feeling!

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Steering geometry out because of damage to the steering gear or chassis or the alignment is horribly out

Take it to a tyre shop and get a wheel alignment done it may cure the problem

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
Usually, this happens when somebody does an alignment with the steering wheel off-center. A new alignment with a centered steering wheel can fix that. Or (worse scenario) someone repositioned the steering wheel as well to make it go "straight"...

You should check that the steering wheel is aligned to the center - there should be a mark on the steering gearbox, or just measure the number of turns and center it, then do the wheel alignment and possibly repositoin the steering wheel if it ends up tilted.

When you center the steering wheel and drive, does it drive straight?

·
Registered
560SEC / 850CSI / 525i
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you center the steering wheel and drive, does it drive straight?
Yeah it used to, Ive since been changing drag links, guide rods, UCA etc and now obviously it doesnt. Problem was always there (well I only own it a few weeks). Will get it aligned once I change all the front suspension (and not drive it until).

One scary thing I found today when putting the guide rod back together, the lower ball joint was not seated in the wishbone/hub mount. It was screwed in at the top fine, but not at the base (the socket its pressed into). Looking into the socket its quite scored.

I have a replacement here but cannot get it pressed in, will ask my friendly mechanic to do it for me tomorrow. If I place the original (as its MB marked) in the socket it slides in with no pressure at all.... :eek: What effect would this of had other than potentially bouncing out when driving and collapsing the wheel/suspension?

·
Registered
1983 300 SD, 1991 420 SEL, 1979 300SD
536 Posts
the lower ball joints are interference fit, meaning it gets slightly distorted when it's pressed into the hub/steering knuckle, but that's what keeps it in place (there are little strips on the outside if you look at a new one). so once it's been installed and then removed it will not fit correctly (loosely). maybe someone installed used ball joints

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
Exactly. Service manual says it can be swapped once if I remember correctly.
Those joints rarely fail catastrophicaly in our cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts