Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 E 2.6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1989 190-E 2.6. Here's the problem, the car is hard to start when cold.

When I pump the accelerator 5 to ten times and continue to crank the engine the car eventually starts. I know compression fuel spark ignition.

I checked the battery and had a load test done on it, it is ok. Checked all the fuses ok too.

When the car starts and is warmed up a little it seems to start fine.

Pulled and checked all the spark plugs to see if any were fouled, all ok too.
Pulled off the air assembly and cleaned the carb. and surrounding area all ok.

I had the compression done about year and half ago most cylinders 150 140 one cylinder 120 ok for a car with over 200,000 miles I think 160 is real good.

I did change the fuel filter maybe 2 years ago and checked the fuel pumps. One was replaced by a mech. The other one is the original.
Just ordered two new AIRTEX pumps and bosch filter, and some other brake parts,

What else could be causing the hard start when cold ie initial turn on. Could it have something to do with the choke mechanism on the carb.

:rolleyes::cool:

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Putting "Hard Start Cold" in the search feature . . wow, looks like a FAQ. :D

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
353 Posts
Could be any of numerous things, i changed the ovp,cold start,plugs,wires,fuses were good, end result my ecu was shot , slappped another one in, no more problems. Your best bet is to get it up on a diagnostic to isolate the issue rather then troubleshoot it yourself.

WC

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3; 1992 300E-3.0, 1998 Saab 9000T
107 Posts
I am going to vote for the OVP. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a certain temperature at which the cold start valve comes into play. Seems like it was in the 30-40 degree range. I also believe the ovp supplies current to the cold start valve when needed. You can add 12 volts to the cold-start valve and get someone to crank it and see if that works. If it does, then it is either the valve or the OVP. It could be an ECU, but that is a rare problem in any car.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
353 Posts
I was saying his problem was the ecu...was just giving referrence to what I did when mine had the issue and saying it would be cheaper on his wallet to get it up on a diagnostic computer then to try to troubleshoot it blind. I did that and it got costly.Original from the dealer the OVP runs $109 and change.

WC

I am going to vote for the OVP. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a certain temperature at which the cold start valve comes into play. Seems like it was in the 30-40 degree range. I also believe the ovp supplies current to the cold start valve when needed. You can add 12 volts to the cold-start valve and get someone to crank it and see if that works. If it does, then it is either the valve or the OVP. It could be an ECU, but that is a rare problem in any car.

·
Registered
190 E 2.6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok have been working on the car for about two days now when I get off work.

Cleaned every thing around fule line areas. Had a hard time getting the cold start valve off stripped 5 mm hex bolt finally got it off. Anyways here goes.

Found a small hose that was cracked on the exhaust manifild connected to a very small clear air line i think. Mercedes junk yard/ dismanteler is near my apartment and I got a new hose for free. It looks like a 180 degree rubber elbow size of a quarter don't know yet if this will fix starting problem probably not.

Bought a digital multimeter, cheap one 9 dollars, to check the 12 volts to the cold start valve. Hooked up valve externally and hooked all fuel lines back up and cranked the engine no 12 volts to valve.

Could this be the OVP relay that is shorted. ?? If I take apart the relay OVP what should I see inside to tell that this has gone bad ?

:confused:

By the the GP sorenson does not make the right cold start valve for this vehicle.

If I hook up 12 volts to the cold start valve and the car starts right away doesn't this meen that it is definately the OVP.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
190 E 2.6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where is the idle air control valve on 190E 2.6 pictures would help or else when I find it will up load pictures to this thread.

·
Registered
190 E 2.6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the MAS mass airflow sensor or what? I would like to meter the 11.5 volts from OVP with ignition on pin 21 but where is MAS?

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,265 Posts
If you want to take a look at the OVP, it is pretty easy; remove the fuse (or 2), straighten the tabs on the bottom and slide the unit out. Inspect the solder joints on the board; they are prone to cold solder joints and cracking. I resoldered all the joints on mine and reinstalled. Cost = 0.

·
Registered
190 E 2.6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replaced the OVP was not the problem. Still hard to start when cold. Also intermittent ABS light don't know if that would cause any cold start problems. Going to change the cold start valve next to see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
190 E 2.6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is not the OVP. Still hard start problem.
Going to change the cold start valve. ABS intermittent light problem related or not related to cold start problem. Hope it is not ECU

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3; 1992 300E-3.0, 1998 Saab 9000T
107 Posts
Don't just replace parts. The cold start problem with the ABS light sure seems like an OVP. But if you replaced it with new and still the same problem, then it's not.

What is the ambient temperature when you are trying to start it cold? It has to be fairly cold for the cold start valve to kick in. Did you try to give the CSV 12 volts while starting?

I read your first post and you say if you pump the gas, then it will start. Do you mean that it will start and run like normal, after pumping the gas? If so, then it seems to be a fuel problem like a leak that allows the fuel pressure to drop after the car sits for a while. I think a bad fuel pressure regulator could do that.

·
Registered
190 E 2.6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried numerous parts and I am now going to return the good parts.
Very well could be the fuel pressure rgulator but I am not going to buy one to just trouble shoot with.

OVP is good cold start valve is good fuel pumps and filter ok fuel pump relay ok.

Going to take it to a STAR mercedes machanic to diagnose the problem.

Vehicle is even harder to start now do not want to burn out the starter trying to start it anymore.

Did drive it last week it took several cranks to start it. While pumping the gas.

Drove it around drove fine. Also started fine when it was warm. Now every new part I have tried has not worked.

:mad:

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Are you "pumping" the gas pedal before engergizing the fuel pump? After? Given the fuel injection system, I'm not sure what depressing the gas pedal prior to starting the car is doing much good.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
353 Posts
A failing/broken vacuum line could do this also, just had work done on mine, car wouldnt start one morning, idle went nuts the day before,turned out that the vacuum lines to the icv were screwed.

WC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts