Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's 32 degrees today, and the car won't start.... It turns, and turns, and turns, but never cranks. It's got a brand new battery, glow plug light comes on and stays on like it's supposed to, I even cycled the plugs a couple times.

The car has a block heater, but for some reason or another, someone cut the cable in half in the engine bay. I'm not sure if it was an accident, or intentional, but the cord runs into the block like it's supposed to.

I'm thinking about reattaching the wires and using the block heater. But surely with good glow plugs and a good battery the car should crank over at 32 degrees with out a block heater, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I'll go ahead and get a starter, glow plugs, and get ready to do a valve adjustment.

Battery is new, 950 CCA, it should turn this thing over.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you give it any gas when you crank?

I have a '78 with the old style plugs and it starts in 30 degree weather no problem, only if I give it a little gas when it starts. If I don't, it will start but then die shortly.

Also: make sure you have a newer battery that's the right size.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If it turns over fast enough the Batt & starter that is not the issue.

I agree w Rmac, do the ohm test, you can get an inexpensive meter at Radio Shack or Harbor Freight. Just don't leave them out in the garage when not using it. I keep mine in my sock drawer!:)

Dave

·
Registered
965 Posts
Whenever you get it to start make sure you run some diesel purge and instal new fuel and air filters. It wouldnt hurt and would help injection spray pattern.

By the way, how old are the filters? It may be that fuel/air starvation isn't helping in cold weather.

How thick is your engine oil? How old is the oil filter?

Do you know how is your compression doing?

:D

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
After you adjust the valves do a compression check. Low compression will make it tough to start even if you have good plugs and starter, etc...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
After you adjust the valves do a compression check. Low compression will make it tough to start even if you have good plugs and starter, etc...
Yep, that's for diesel or gas! Good compression is key!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Similar issues....fine when coming off block heater, but leaving work (no plug) is a nightmare, have had AAA jump me a few times.

GP are brand new (summer)....did a Valuve adj over summer, could I need another one this soon?

Thanks.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Similar issues....fine when coming off block heater, but leaving work (no plug) is a nightmare, have had AAA jump me a few times.

GP are brand new (summer)....did a Valuve adj over summer, could I need another one this soon?

Thanks.
Anthony, how often you do diesel purges? Is this the car that has the conversion? Spray pattern also affects the explosion, but sounds that you need a better battery with more juice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the car back in August. When I bought it I replaced all the filters, changed the oil, etc.

I've got some new pencil style glow plugs on the way and a starter. The battery is new, and big, the only thing I need to have done now is adjust the valves.

I'm also sending off the cluster. Should be like new here before too long.

Hopefully glow plugs and a starter will resolve the issue.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Another piece of advice I received on here was I bought A Battery on Sunday at Wally World & returned it on Monday because I was told to run away from it because it was the slowest cranking of the one's to buy. So today I'm going to O'Reilly's to get, I think a Super Start made by Varta. One thing I know for sure is it has 850 cold cranking amps as apposed to only 760 CCA for the Eveready Maxx.

The Maxx had a tag on that said it was made in CZ, where & what is that, anyone?

Dave

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts