Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 2.6L auto 190E
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now my steering act weird. Especially when I am packing or leaving a packing lot(where you need little speed and lots of steering) it will feel very stiff, as though it has lost the hydraulic assisstance. Always seems to happen when car has been running for a while, never in the mornings when i leave for work.
The Tech once looked at it briefly and suggested to change the steering fluid filter(a wee filter was replaced) which improved the situation but only for a while. Question, what are the likely culprits- old fuid? bad steering box?
Suggestions welcome

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 190E 2.6
140 Posts
Is there enough fluid in the reservoir? If there is, then the only other major elements of the system are the pump, the steering box and the hoses. If the hoses are leaking that should be visible. If the hoses look good, then my guess would be the pump. Given this information and from many thousands of miles away, that would be my best guess. It is a little easier to change than a water pump but almost as much work.

Good luck,

Colin

·
Registered
1989 2.6L auto 190E
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had a good look and the hoses are dry and yes I have fluid. Only thing is it looks dirty. It has never been drained if at all thats done. As I stated it only happens at low revs or at idling speed.

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,265 Posts
I have had a good look and the hoses are dry and yes I have fluid. Only thing is it looks dirty. It has never been drained if at all thats done. As I stated it only happens at low revs or at idling speed.
The filter could be clogged; it is in the reservoir, and is held on by the long bolt in the centre. I would begin by flushing the old fluid out and replacing the filter.

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
sounds like the pump is goiing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts