Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes the gods smile upon us, my friends. Recall my original issue: moaning sound under hard steering. I had some thoughts on potential low p/s fluid as did other members. Sure enough when I checked it yesterday, it just barely touched the botton of the dipstick - nowhere near where it should be. So I added some and the moaning is gone! Sweet! Really ripped her around some corners today, top down of course. [:D]

Thank you to one and all!

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Check for where it is leaking.
The fluid level will not go down unless it is leaking.

Most hoses leak at the crimped on fitting, unless it was rubbing on something and chafed a hole in it.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
What AMPM said. In addition you will want to take a look at the steering fluid soon, particals in the fluid would indicate that you may have damaged the power steering pump (that moaning came from somewhere).
An old turkey baster can suck an ounce or less of fluid out after you have driven for a while.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both AMPM and Bruce, I'll check. Hope fully the gods are still in a good mood! [:p]

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What was happening was any time I would corner hard (tight turn at decent amount of speed) I would hear a "moaning" noise and actually feel some light feedback in the steering wheel. The feedback wasn't harsh, but obviously evident. Same for the moaning noise - not loud, but I could hear it. Neither symptom ocurred in everyday driving, nor did they occur at a full stop when I'd rotate the wheel all the way from right to left and vice versa.

I originally keyed on the p/s fluid because I had an old Volvo whose dashboard brake light would illuminate only when I turned hard, but the brakes worked fine. It turned out that the brake fluid was well below normal. Once I filled it, the brake light never came on again.

·
Registered
SLK 320
134 Posts
that sounds like the mysterious noise I've been hearing, except that it only happens when I make a sharp right turn... anyway, doesn't hurt to check up a few fluid levels. thanks!

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
Bruce R. - 4/2/2006 1:32 PM

What AMPM said. In addition you will want to take a look at the steering fluid soon, particals in the fluid would indicate that you may have damaged the power steering pump (that moaning came from somewhere).
An old turkey baster can suck an ounce or less of fluid out after you have driven for a while.
The sound from a PS pump is usually just caused by air bubbles being introduced into the oil when the level is low; doesn't necessarily mean any damage has occurred. Some pumps emit a kind of higher pitched squeel, others a low frequency kind of growl. The only thing to really be concerned about is where is the oil leaking from; if it only happens every few years, don't worry about it; if you see small oil puddles under the car, time to get the flashlight out.

There is some info here for novices:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering4.htm

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Yellow! I appreciate the info and the link.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Make sure you check out the pump and fill tube. About 9 months ago I had to have my power steering pump replaced. There weren't any in the US so it had to be shipped from Germany. A week later the car was ready to go. Asked my service advisor what it would have cost if the car had not been under warranty. The quote was ~$1400.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
A new power steering pump for a SLK 320 is $432; a rebuilt one should be quite a bit cheaper IF you can find one. $1400 sounds somewhat excessive; of course our dealers are known for being excessive as though it were an art form.[8D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Looks like it took a long time for some one to respond.... sorry.[B)]
Yes, the arrow points to the cap of the power steering pump/reservoir. There is a dipstick inside as you may know, do not over fill. [;)]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts