Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a thing pop up today. Was driving around and stopped for a minute. When I went to restart it wouldn't. It behaved exactly like trying to start with a unsynced key. So I thought at first my Adam was toast. I tried starting g a few time ans same thing, start and almost run for a half second or so. I finally got it to run by accidentally putting my foot on the throttle. Once it was running it ran smooth and sweet as always. Not a miss or stumble. When I got home I put my code reader on and it showed nothing. So does anything sound familiar? Anything I should look at?

TNX

Dave

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
Did you get the message "Start Error" on the odometer readout?
If the DAS is failing try this.
Insert the key and look at the red LED near the fog light switch. If it blinks once the
system has recognized the key as valid and it should start.
So if it is not and it starts fine when cold then it is possible the crankshaft position sensor
is on its way out.
What did you use to try and pull the codes?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No displayed errors no codes. It did start after about 5 tries. Just long enough to wonder about a tow truck. It did it again after I got home. Since then it has been starting perfectly fine. I would have sworn it behaved like water in the gas but hasn't rained here in a few months. Unless some crap from the bottom of the tank got stirred up? Last fill was a week ago and I was down to about 2 gals/8 liters at most.

I get little red blinky light which was a great relief to see.

I'm using a Innova 3100F to read the codes.

I had no choice but to drive around town ,after and it behaved. Went out about an hour ago same thing. Just tried to start and it started first touch of the key. I'll do a search on cps symptoms just in case.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other question is can this occur without it throwing a P0335 error code?

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
You should carry your code reader with you. When the problem occurs, do not keep trying to start it. Connect the code reader and scroll to RMP or Engine Speed and then crank the engine while looking at the display and it should show approx. 200 RPM's.

No RPM's=CKP Sensor

RPM's=fuel, DAS problem, other

If it's a DAS problem, START ERROR will not show in odometer window MY 1998-99. START ERROR will only show in MY 2000 and above.

If it is a DAS problem, code B1099 will be stored in the AAM. But I doubt if the Innova will catch it unless it can ready Body Codes.

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
Thanks the insight on the 98-99s not showing the start error. That is good to know.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate this car! It just runs... I thought I'd outsmart it and take my wife out to a few garage sales. I should mention i detest going out to garage sales. Its just under 100 and stop and go. So sooner or later it should happen again so I could read the codes as you suggested. Did it happen? NOPE. Did it even hiccup ONCE?!!! Oh hell no. Is there any way I can blame this on you?:)

So all I got out of it getting too damn hot and sweaty. Did I mention I hate going to garage sales?

I gather that it needs to detect a min of 200 rpm and so many complete revolutions to post ion the crank before it actually fires?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok it did it to me one more time tonight. My wife just got stung by a wasp so I didn't have time to do anything until later (having great day, first garage sales now this). I got home and after things settled I went out and tried to read the codes. I saw a P0460 code which has always cleared then only reoccurred after filling the tank. I filled last week and was fairly sure I had cleared it. I did notice that all the systems waiting to clear were down to one the 2A system was still pending. So not sure if this is a red herring IE I did not clear it properly the last time or is it related to this hot non start business?

From all I can find if it is the crank sensor then this is behaving close to that. However it seemed liked some people got P0335 codes and others but a lot didn't yet replacing the CPS did work. I'll order one in tomorrow if I can be fairly sure, Of course because it has two prongs due to my year etc it costs more. Will the camshaft position sensor cause similar symptoms or totally different?

It of course started right up and showed nothing else. Please please please help me fix this before I have to go to more garage sales to test this out :D

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump

Still no codes. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I just order a CKPS???

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
I did not have any codes or CEL. My truck just decided one afternoon not to start, similar symptoms. Replaced crankshaft position sensor and all was well again.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TNX! Boca.

Did it do the same thing to you a few times before it finally died? By that I mean not start a few times then cool off and go again? That seems to be the way these go from what I can find.

Just trying to find out how urgent the replacement has to be. The only other thing I can think of that would do this is a vapor lock but the fuel rail would have to bleed down pretty fast for that.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Yeah, it started right as the tow truck pulled up. Drove it straight to my friend's shop and left it. We didn't even have to diagnose it. Didn't want to risk getting stranded again.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm half tempted to hit it with some cold spray or use some water to cool it off to make sure but I think I'll just order a new one and change it out.

TNX

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And it did it again on a stone cold engine. Starting to not sound like cps issues from what i can find. Still no codes.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
Why don't you just get a fuel pressure gauge. When the problem occurs, put it in park and leave the key as is. Open the hood and check fuel pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll see if I can borrow one for a bit. That bleed down after 30 should be telling but I can't see it being that really. The very first time it was maybe 30 seconds before restart was attempted. If its bleeding down that fast I have some real problems.

Last time I tried to snag a code (today) I not only got no codes it finally gave me a green light and said I'd pass emissions. Which we don't do here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts