Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes there is a hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Its been happening for awhile now and after I had the tranny fluid changed I thought it might disappear but its still there. I mostly notice it when I accelerate gradually vs pedal to the medal. Do I have an issue?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I think you know it's normal when the engine is cold (delayed and rough shift to warm up the cats). Mine got better after the ATF partial change but it is still there for the 1st couple of 1-2 shifts. If yours happens consistently after the engine is warm I'd have the codes read on a Star system. Was this the first transmission service you have had?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I wasn't clear on whether you went back and used a proper tool to confirm fluid level at operating temperature. That's where I'd start. Once you've confirmed it's correct, do the reset procedure in the sticky.

But MM is right, if you start it up cold and drive off, the 1-2 upshift can be delayed so when it happens it feels pretty harsh.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Hmm, I assumed the fluid level to be correct, my bad. I'll try and find that on your other thread and I certainly agree that's something you should measure. Remember at 80C with the proper dipstick tool.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts