Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts
Great idea. I had the 113 hardtop in a cover on the stand for many years. When I went to put it on to take the car to Maine I discovered that a mouse/rat had made a home in there and had messed it up. This system would have prevented that.

·
Registered
1977 SL 450
4 Posts
Did you figure this out?

Hello,
I have a SL 450 1997 with a hard top, soft top.
Does anyone have advice about storing the hard top when it is not on the car? I have heard that if the the hard top is set down a specific way, it can warp.
Does anyone use a carriage to store it. My carpenter and I were thinking about building a carriage to slide it into for easy/safe storage in the summers.
If so, do you have any designs for such a carriage?
Many thanks.
Courtney

I noticed you had an ebay link, which is no longer working... do they make this already? What is the name of the storage device so I can try ebay on my own.

·
Registered
87 560SL
292 Posts
I put together two industrial style shelf units from Home Depot, one shelf supports the back section the second supports the front of the hardtop. This provided room underneath for my Wrangler hardtop and a lawnmower.

·
Registered
1977 280SL Euro
202 Posts
I store mine in the ceiling of the garage just like it was on the car. I built a lift to remove and install the top on the car and use it to store the top overhead. That way it is out of the way and ready to put on the car anytime I need it. The cost of the lifting devise was $30.00 for parts with a 500+ pound load capacity. Several good designs are available on this site.
Jerry - 1977 280SL (Euro)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,091 Posts
Hello,
I have a SL 450 1997 with a hard top, soft top.
Does anyone have advice about storing the hard top when it is not on the car? I have heard that if the the hard top is set down a specific way, it can warp.
Does anyone use a carriage to store it. My carpenter and I were thinking about building a carriage to slide it into for easy/safe storage in the summers.
If so, do you have any designs for such a carriage?
Many thanks.
Courtney

I noticed you had an ebay link, which is no longer working... do they make this already? What is the name of the storage device so I can try ebay on my own.
How about this:eBay Motors: Mercedes hardtop Stand Rack CArt holder 380SL 450SL 107 (item 250394125152 end time May-21-09 08:05:33 PDT)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts