Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 E320, 79 450SL AMG
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
98 e 320 - Owned 7 months - driven 10,000 miles. current ,milage 109,000.

Since purchase of car (Calf Vers) car cranks excessively before starting when outsife temp is 50 + degrees. Once started runs perfect. No misses, no stalls, smooth idle at 735 RPM. Immediate restart of warm engine, may start normally, sometimes we crank excessively.

When starting in cold weather, car always starts immediately (normal), reset code It seems like the cold weather warm up module (choke) kicks in the added fuel allowing a normal start.

When I purchased the car, I had a MB dealer do a buyers pre-inspection, car had no codes, they suggested new plugs as solution to start problem. DIY plug change in Feb, using plug supplied by dealer. No change.

Three days ago - hard start, car started with a mis and rough idle, then immediately cleared itself and settled in to normal (within 30 idle sec.).The mis caused check engine light to comeon. Checked and reset single code. Code was P0303 - cylinder 3 mis fire.
I cleared the code, have run the car two days - code has not come back.

Car gets 23.5 city and 27.8 hwy mpg. Ran a hard acceleration form 25 - 55 mph, car reved to 6000 rpm, did not sense any missing.

Discussed problem with dealer and indy, they had offered nothing, other than we can try and hunt problem down. My thought is loss of fuel pressure when the car sits, which is why it does not have an immediate start in warm weather, and why it starts in cool weather is the added fuel added be the warm up regulator.

Anyone had similar problem?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
You gave perfect description of engine flooded by leaky injectors not holding the static pressure. Putting pressure gauge on fuel rail would quickly answer that.
We do know those things as amateurs on the forum. I wonder how-come the professionals you are using have no idea what pressure gauges are for ;)

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
98 E320, 79 450SL AMG
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leaky injector

You gave perfect description of engine flooded by leaky injectors not holding the static pressure. Putting pressure gauge on fuel rail would quickly answer that.
We do know those things as amateurs on the forum. I wonder how-come the professionals you are using have no idea what pressure gauges are for ;)

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the reply. If I DIY I'm not able to test the injectors - don't want to lay the car up a week while they are sent out etc, and I don't want to buy 6 injectors at $145.00 ea unless I have too! Since I got the mis fire code on cyl 3 - is it safe to assume it's a single failed injector? Also don't want to replace one, followed be the next etc. If it's reasonable to replace only the one, expecting the remaining 5 will continue to work for a reasonable time into the future.

Thanks

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
You chose not to disclosure your location, so it is hard to give you direct advise, but lot of places on the Earth have FI shops, that can test the injectors and even repair them for low cost.
Still one minute of testing is worth 1 hr of parts dropping trying your luck.
I would buy a pressure gauge and test the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
98 E320, 79 450SL AMG
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not in hiding! Seattle. The injectors have to be pulled, yes.
I was looking at the fuel rail today; not entirely certain on pulling it. I try not to be a hacker in removing parts for first time.

I've changed the injectors on my 79 450, they are a bit different running of the Csi system.

Looking for a good tutorial.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Your car directing you to cyl-3 which is most probably the only injector that is faulty. Of-course changing the injector is always an option but first you could take a simpler approach to see if you could solve the problem without changing it. I would buy couple of cans of Mercedes intake cleaner P/N A 000 989 25 45 12, they are about $12 each at the dealer. Add one can to a full gas tank. Repeat that again with another full tank. This will clean all your injectors and it may solve your problem.

I normally add once a year this additive to my gas tank. If it does not work, you can always consider changing the injector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts