Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
10,807 Posts
I have almost identical jackstands bought from AutoZone. I suspect there's some factory or factories knocking out the same stands and slapping whatever labels the purchasers want on them.

It's one thing to buy a wrench or use once and forget tool from "Horrible Fright", but the very last things I would buy from "Horrible Fright" would be those I would risk my life with.

If this is a fundamental design flaw, however, I will be putting a couple of concrete blocks under each corner as well, just in case.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,985 Posts
Here's the guy that probably prompted the recall. It is a design issue. The pawl relies on downward force to stay engaged. If car is raised it can release pawl. Prob not an issue with our cars, the guy who had this happen had a 914 on them. Around 7:50 he does the actual experiment.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,391 Posts
I bought their most expensive 'Big Red' floor jack from Autozone like 12yrs ago. If it wasn't so heavy and stout looking, I would have thrown it away yrs ago. I guess I always hoped the Murphy gremlins would fix it somehow.

I've never trusted it with my life.....always made sure railroad tie blocks or something substantial was under there too....in case it failed. The hydraulics have never held 100%; jack up something heavy and an hr later the jack had sagged about an inch or more. It was very predictable that way. I just figured after an hour it would sag one to two inches.

Then lately, it wouldn't jack up anything heavy. You gotta forget they are a 'floor jack' and just think of them as a bottle jack laid horizontally. There's almost always a rubber plug facing upward from the jack. You remove this and bleed out the jack after adding oil. Plenty of YouTube vids on this although they aren't always correct on procedure. In any event, a lot of these jacks get tossed when they get older, or given away when all they need is some fluid and bled.

Kevin

·
Registered
1989 300CE & 1971 280SE; 73.5 911T
172 Posts
I own four 61196 HF Pittsburgh jack stands, with the optional red rubber pedestal pads.
They were successfully used for 4 years while I slide around under my TR6. They are very strong and have positive locking notches.
I see absolutely no problem with them & I'll keep mine, thank you.

If some idiot happened to kick the pawl arm real hard, while under a supported mass/vehicle, the post could potentially drop to its lowest setting-
honestly that would take a big effort to drop it. You'd really have to kick it super hard to get it to move when it supported weight.

·
Registered
W124
5,168 Posts
I disagree. Its not avoiding the bonehead move that is important, its buying a tool that is safe.

Now I understand why HF (and I predict lots of others) have the recall. Those jackstands HF is selling are death traps. The ones I use have a "chock" or "safety" on the end of the chain. When you find the height you want, you slide the chock into the notch and the jack stand CAN'T collapse. Honestly I thought they all would have this feature but apparently not.

These were no more expensive than HF so like I said, you have to evaluate your needs when deciding whether or not to buy HF. I would NEVER get under a car that was on stands like what HF sells.
IMG_6515 (1).JPG

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
On a side topic, has anyone on the board been to China? Does it actually smell like the inside of a Harbor Freight store?
The late great Eric could have told us...

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
I disagree. Its not avoiding the bonehead move that is important, its buying a tool that is safe.

Now I understand why HF (and I predict lots of others) have the recall. Those jackstands HF is selling are death traps. The ones I use have a "chock" or "safety" on the end of the chain. When you find the height you want, you slide the chock into the notch and the jack stand CAN'T collapse. Honestly I thought they all would have this feature but apparently not.

These were no more expensive than HF so like I said, you have to evaluate your needs when deciding whether or not to buy HF. I would NEVER get under a car that was on stands like what HF sells.
View attachment 2634294
I used to have a set without the latches but with the locking pin. Don't know what happened to them, probably got left behind in one of my moves.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
I own four 61196 HF Pittsburgh jack stands, with the optional red rubber pedestal pads.
They were successfully used for 4 years while I slide around under my TR6. They are very strong and have positive locking notches.
I see absolutely no problem with them & I'll keep mine, thank you.

If some idiot happened to kick the pawl arm real hard, while under a supported mass/vehicle, the post could potentially drop to its lowest setting-
honestly that would take a big effort to drop it. You'd really have to kick it super hard to get it to move when it supported weight.

View attachment 2634290
TR6 (nice car BTW -post some pics) is a lot lot lighter than most modern cars except perhaps little hatchbacks.

The issue here is that if they just drop to their lowest setting that would probably crush your ribs anyway.

·
Registered
1989 300CE & 1971 280SE; 73.5 911T
172 Posts

The thing about the jack stands is that you set it up under the frame/chassis & you forget it. It holds the car up.
What is dangerous about that? Nothing is going anywhere.
The locking chain is a good safety feature, I agree, they all should have that feature.
"Death trap" is a bit of an exaggeration. I mean, life is a death trap.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Speaking as someone who used to work in subsea oil and gas construction, I've seen plenty of things that "shouldn't" have happened but did...

Very nice TR6.

While he was at University my brother had a Spitfire he shoehorned a GT6 lump into. Bodywork was justly bits of galvanized ductwork he nicked off a construction site and welded in himself. Bloody death trap that thing was... But that's another story

·
Registered
2013 SL 550
34 Posts
Horror freight/Mercedes Benz......? Do you value your life,, ?

Can’t wait for America to start making machinery and tools again....

Jmpov..

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
You might have a very long wait. The pervasive attitude in America is; "Buy it as cheaply as you can". That doesn't exactly inspire US quality made products.

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
On a side topic, has anyone on the board been to China? Does it actually smell like the inside of a Harbor Freight store?
It doesn't smell like the inside of a Harbor Freight store, or if it did, you couldn't tell because the smog is absolutely off-the-charts horrible. It looks like the very worst days of the California wildfires - all the time.
~~
Mark Moulding
'11 SL550, and helping #2 kid fix up his '97 SL500

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's the guy that probably prompted the recall. It is a design issue. The pawl relies on downward force to stay engaged. If car is raised it can release pawl. Prob not an issue with our cars, the guy who had this happen had a 914 on them. Around 7:50 he does the actual experiment.
I wish he'd say "Pawl" instead of "paw", and use a wrench instead of channel-locks, but it was a well-made experiment.
~~
Mark Moulding
'11 SL550, and helping #2 kid fix up his '97 SL500

·
Premium Member
2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,238 Posts
Before I got my lift, I did an entire restoration on my TR8 on top of Harbor Freight jackstands. I always kept the hydraulic jack just barely touching the underside of the chassis (so as not to "unload" the jackstand ratchet) so that if the jackstands shifted or failed, there would be a secondary means of support, but the lift makes things a whole lot nicer and safer.
TR8 photo.JPG

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,690 Posts
I don't disagree about the quality of Harbor Freight products, but, IMHO, I believe that China has excellent manufacturing capability. However, like most good manufacturers, they build exactly what you want them to. If you want something that is built to a price point like Harbor Freight, URO, or rubber dog sh!t, they will build it for you, but quality is going to suffer and you will get exactly that, rubber dog sh!t. If, on the other hand, you provide them with rigorous specifications, validated processes, and a robust Quality Assurance system, they can manufacture products that are they equal to or better than anything out there. Indeed, if these types of controls had been in place at the Harbor Freight supplier, the worn tool would have been detected/prevented and the recall would have never happened. It's like the old adage says, "you get what you pay for". My company designs and manufactures medical devices and we use some components and tooling sourced from China and we have found this to be true.

I think the real problem is that people have come to expect cheap, merely adequate, and often disposable products from China and elsewhere and they are more than happy to oblige. The Chinese manufacturing base is only responding to market demands. Just my 2¢ worth.
+ 1 Lack of quality control is one reason, grade of steel used another. In my experience Taiwan tools do nicely on a budget.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
+ 1 Lack of quality control is one reason, grade of steel used another. In my experience Taiwan tools do nicely on a budget.
Yeah and when I was young they said the exact same thing about the grade of steel used in Japanese made cars and the general lack of quality control with respect to everything made and imported here from Japan. So you could say......they rallied.

But it's a slightly different deal with China, in part because of their horrific human rights issues and politics.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,943 Posts
Whateva [email protected] If the stands are just "metal" then why the reason for the recall??? But at least back up what you spout by showing and referencing some indy repair shops or better yet dealerships that use Harbor Freight as their primary toolset.
Right on sbaert. NEVER buy anything made of Chinesium. Besides being cheap, probably illegal knock offs, China is becoming our WORST enemy.
Anziani

21 - 40 of 42 Posts