Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time back I read one of the subjects on MP3 players on this fourm. I think it was lynns who gave a website for getting one that plugs into the back of the radio. I have a 96 500SL and the unit that I got works great! I ordered it from Gerald Jones, phone number 888 563-7227. The MP3 Adapter was $119, the removal keys $6, and the priority shipping $4.60. It sounds great - much better than the tape adapters. It is fairly easy to install, but it is really cramped behind the radio so this is what I would suggest.
1. remove radio with removal keys
2. install adapter to radio
3. remove control panel above radio. simply reach up behind and push it out. This allows you to have access to push the adapter down and behind the radio when you put the radio back in.
4. put radio back into dash.
There are instructions with the adapter, but they do not tell you to remove the control panel for access.

Marv Clott

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is an actual line input. You discontect the connectors to the back of the radio and plug into this adapter and then plug the adapter into the radio. I did leave out some of the details such as running the line to the MP3 player. I took the easy way because I do not use the ashtray or lighter - by removing a couple of screws in the ashtray/lighter compartment, you can take out the tray. I drilled a hole large enough for the connector on the line to the MP3 player to pass through it and then fished the wire from the adapter down to the ashtray area. You could also route the wire through the console to whereever you would like if you want to go to the troulble of removing the entire console. The videos from the stickys show how to remove the console, but it looked like more work than it was worth for me. My wire comes into the ashtray/lighter box area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts