Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a fan of the standard Blizzaks or more commonly Firestone Winterforce tires. This year, I wanted to purchase the Winterforce tires for my W126, but they were back-ordered, and the winter was on the horizon.

At the suggestion of the tire shop, I reluctantly purchased the Hankook iPike snows- they have exceeded my expectations. I live in central NY state, where we get hammered by lake effect snow bands. Today in my area, we got pounded by a quick fall of several inches.

I took the 300SE out to give it a test in a parking lot- it's almost difficult to get it to break free. So I went out to a friends house tonight, about a 20 mile drive each way, and found that the car tracked amazingly well in the bad weather, much better than just about everything else on the road.

On the way home, turning onto my own street, which is a turn slightly greater than 90 degrees, I slowed down a little TOO much and began understeering- the front end was losing grip a little bit- I mean barely. I got into it a little harder and it straightened right up.

Great tires, fairly inexpensive, and highly recommended for anyone who needs them. (That's anyone trying to get by with all seasons in snow). :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
I use these tires as well. Last winter was my first time with them and we had a LOT of snow. They really did well. I honestly could not have asked for anything better. I also have a history with Blizzacks, but not on this car. I was a little choose them over the Blizzacks but they were much cheaper so I thought I would give them a try. We'll see how they hold up in the next couple of years.

I just put mine on yesterday as we had 3-4 inches of snow Friday night.

Anyone tried Hakkapeliitta Nokian's? I heard they were really good but at 3 times the price of these Hankook's, I just couldn't do it.

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Pirelli Winter Carvings. Big bite in the white, great in the rain, killer grip on bare tarmac below 10. I'm a believer...studdable too.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,686 Posts
General Altimax Arctic

I cant stay this is the best snow tire I've ever had because its my first. However its pretty awesome. Check the surveys tab on tirerack, #1 in category.

Also, MADE IN GERMANY, and they can be had for the w126 for around 65/tire

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
I have a set of studded Hankooks on some 15 holers. This will most likely be their last season, but they have been good over their life.

One of the things that I think helps the 126 in the snow is how much it weighs.

Just a reminder, tall and skinny tires work much better in the deep stuff than short wide ones. This is why I have my snows on 15 inch wheels. Studs don't hurt either.

-Wolf

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
Those in and around the Artic Circle, choose only one tire. Nokian .
Yup the hak 2's were pretty good when i had them. New ones aren't what they used to be though.

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
I don't really use my W126 when it's snows but we've had an unusually early spell of bad weather in the UK recently and I tried to take the car for a quick drive to get some petrol on the weekend but it just won't move! Totally useless in the snow without winter tyres!

I do have winter tyres on my daily driver (Ford Focus) and they really do make such a huge difference!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts