Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Everyone knows I'm a big fan of these cars, and get into the "Black Magic" of these cars. The black magic is transmissions, and I get into the Blacker of the electronic transmissions(722.6).

Like I have said before, the easiest transmission to DIY for the first time is the 722.6 because it does not require mechanical adjustments. No vacuum controls, and no brake bands to deal with... Just a lot simpler

Here is piece of great literature to determine how worn-out your 722.6 transmission(any 722.6) it is based on how many cycles it takes to pressurize the clutch pack, and when a clutch pack is pressurized a gear is engaged, but no clutch pack equals to a gear ratio, but a combination of two or three clutch packs form a gear ratio. The gear ratio truth table document will give the decoding information on which clutch pack does what. The clutch packs are labeled K1, K2, K3, B1, B2, and etc...

The way one can determine "How worn-out" is the transmission is Mercedes Star must be used, and the car must be driven to get these values. The values go from 0-15-Zero meaning new transmission, and fifteen being flat out worn out. The last two paragraphs sumerizes this on the adaptation information, and I included data of a 100,000 mile M120 W140, and one can determine how worn the clutch packs are worn...

Though most say get a PPI, this is what the PPI data spells out...

Hope it helps,

Martin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,678 Posts
Very many thanks to Martin, for this is exactly how we did one aspect of the second stage PPI on my M120. The live data was critical to making a good decision.

And possibly no surprises here - but the best transmission data was on the lady driven car...

Thank you MAVA :)

Great post for all to benefit from as not every PPI will go into this detail - and IMHO, on a W140 they *need* to.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Really Cool Post!!

I will have to check mine out!

Uhhhh, cancel that.... Maybe I *DON'T* want to know!! Haaa Haaa~

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G-AMG,

I always want to know the BAD and the UGLY. The good is good and never talked about.

I like to grab the bull by the horns!! Not run away...

Martin

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
780 Posts
mine ranges from 1 to 4 cycles :)

Specs & maintenance history:

155k miles approx
transmission oil, fiter + torque converter drain and refill done every 20k
3rd gear spring done
valve body bushings done

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
mine ranges from 1 to 4 cycles :)

Specs & maintenance history:

155k miles approx
transmission oil, fiter + torque converter drain and refill done every 20k
3rd gear spring done
valve body bushings done
Very impressive... :nerd

·
Registered
99" CL500 (silver)SOLD, 99' CL500 (blk), 97' S500(silver), 01' S500 (Espresso)
2,128 Posts
Very interesting... Mava's definitely peaking my interest in just rebuilding one (the one sitting in my back yard)...

·
Registered
1998 S320LWB
654 Posts
Just to clarify....if one was to replace the Valve Body (about $1k) would that work to effectively restore the numbers back towards 1? I have been meticulous about the oil change maintenance and was just curious.

·
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seth, sadly no. The valve body, nor the fluid have anything to do with this. It is all about the friction wear(or clutch pack wear) in simple terms. I know bnze and joe know what frictions look like. They are all inside the transmission, and not the valvebody area..
Marrin

·
Premium Member
MY96 S500 & MY96 S600
3,169 Posts
I have a theory on what to listen to for K2 bushing bearing wear pre-failure but I won't have any more info until my car is back together. It's a long shot but there might be something in it.

·
Registered
1995 S600 Coupe
19 Posts
I just purchased a 95 S600 coupe and I'm still working on rewiring the electrical. I have not driven the car more than a few blocks to get it home, but I think mine is a 4 speed and is not the same tranny. Will this work on my car?

Thanks,

Atilla

·
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Atilla,

It does not apply to your year. 1996 to 1999 for v8 & v12 cars and 1997 to 1999 i6 cars

Martin

·
Registered
1995 S600 Coupe
19 Posts
Atilla,

It does not apply to your year. 1996 to 1999 for v8 & v12 cars and 1997 to 1999 i6 cars

Martin
I figured it didn't work. But it was worth a shot. Boy one year makes a huge difference sometimes, would have also had OBDII and no disintegrating imitation plastic coating on the wiring.

Thanks.

Atilla

·
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes what a difference a year makes, and those same years the cars are "Drive by Wire" meaning no cable from the accelerator pedal to the throttle body

The encoder(the device at the other end of the accelerator cable) is what is doing all the talking to the computer, and it is not called throttle position sensor.

The electronics are different too and everything is CAN bus.

Ahh, no more distributors all engines go to individual coils(or coil-overs as the street calls them).

Martin

·
Registered
1995 S600 Coupe
19 Posts
Yes what a difference a year makes, and those same years the cars are "Drive by Wire" meaning no cable from the accelerator pedal to the throttle body

The encoder(the device at the other end of the accelerator cable) is what is doing all the talking to the computer, and it is not called throttle position sensor.

The electronics are different too and everything is CAN bus.

Ahh, no more distributors all engines go to individual coils(or coil-overs as the street calls them).

Martin
I knew about the wiring issues before purchasing the car. I learned from reading on this website prior to the purchase. I am good at electrical and soldiering, so I figured I could deal with whatever came up. I was not positive about the tranny, but I had read the four speed was more bulletproof then the five. I'm not sure if that is the case, or not. Of course five speed would be better, however, not if it is weaker, IMHO. I used to be all about newer is better. I've learned my lesson with that tho, especially first year model changes. Still not sure how I feel about drive by wire and electronic steering, but OBD II would be nice. Look what happened to Bimmer, people pine for the ones from 10 and 15 years ago. If it was up to me this thing would have a six speed manual, but then again so would most other cars.

Atilla

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Will revert soon guys on a PPI tomorrow in which, thanks to MAVA, I will be looking to get full adaptation values on a 62k M120 cream puff.

Thank you MAVA!

After all, just having this kind of data can save us from making a $3 - 5k right or wrong decision.

:goojob:

·
Registered
1994 S420
1,699 Posts
Thanks for the info Martin. This is probably why I shy away from '96 and up cars. Aside from disliking sensitive OBDll cars, the conductor plate and all involved scare me away from them. I've watched Kent from Mercedessource perform this service...yeeeeesh! Granted they offer better fuel economy with adaptive driving and so forth but, I'll stick with a vacuum operated tranny. I can imagine what the clutch packs would cost along with associated electronics. Scary! Maybe one day when my money grows up LOL!

·
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info Martin. This is probably why I shy away from '96 and up cars. Aside from disliking sensitive OBDll cars, the conductor plate and all involved scare me away from them. I've watched Kent from Mercedessource perform this service...yeeeeesh! Granted they offer better fuel economy with adaptive driving and so forth but, I'll stick with a vacuum operated tranny. I can imagine what the clutch packs would cost along with associated electronics. Scary! Maybe one day when my money grows up LOL!
Sean,

You are welcome sir !!

Give me a Voltmeter, Solder Iron(not a soldering gun), and oscilloscope over screw driver, wrench, or socket/wrench any day.

I play with voltage and current :smile

All my cars are electrically working first then they are working mechanically ...

My brain just sits with wires/resistors/transistors :grin

Martin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts