Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm a longtime lurker, but I've finally joined :) I'm 23 years-old, just graduated from college. My aunt and uncle have sold their 1993 SL 300 over to me and I'm very excited about it! I've driven it on and off for the last 4-5 years but now it's finally mine for keeps.

That being said, my aunt and uncle bought it used in ~1995, and did not take care of it... It sat in the sun for years and it went for months (at least) without being started. They took it to their "car guy" who fixes their other cars (Ferraris, Bentleys -- every family has that "rich uncle", he's it.) regularly so it did get maintenance every now and then.

Either way, it's up and running now and I use it every day to get to and from work.

Cosmetically, it needs some serious attention. I'm not sure if it's just sun damage or something else, but any input you guys would have would be supremely appreciated.

Bottom left section of lower bumper is completely missing (?) with chips, cracks...

The 3rd stop light has significant scratching on the lens but otherwise functions perfectly - just ugly.

With over 200k miles on it, I'm wondering just how much $ it's worth to put into this lovely vehicle. I do love driving it -- totally hugs the road. :cool:

·
Administrator
8,698 Posts
Best advice is to drive it 'as is' until you find out if there are any major problems.

Before you drive it as it has been standing for some time, check all fluid levels, especially brake fluid.
Check the tyres, even if they look good make sure they are not cracked between the treads due to drying out sun damage.

Keep us informed as to how you are progressing :thumbsup:

·
W168, W169 Moderator
5,293 Posts
Welcome to the R129 forum acer7...:) Ditto with James....^^^.....

·
R129 HTT Founder Member
7,499 Posts
Just by looking at the pictures you provided and taking into consideration the mileage and the not so great maintenance of the car I wouldn't invest too much at all if I were in your shoes. The paint job looked pretty scarred, the front bumper is missing the for lights and tow hook cover and no clue on the interior. My opinion is as mentioned make sure the fluids and tires are ok so its safe to drive, enjoy it and if you love the car purchase a better one down the road. Good luck and welcome to the best R129 forum on the net.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If it's mechanically in good drivable condition, I would give it a $500 Maaco paint job or have it color wrapped to make it presentable and use it as DD. However, I would not consider restoring it because you could get a better SL for the money you'd spent on parts and labor restoring a 200K miles SL.

Good luck and welcome to the SL world.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best advice is to drive it 'as is' until you find out if there are any major problems.

Before you drive it as it has been standing for some time, check all fluid levels, especially brake fluid.
Check the tyres, even if they look good make sure they are not cracked between the treads due to drying out sun damage.

Keep us informed as to how you are progressing :thumbsup:
Yes, it's been checked by a mechanic I know and trust, and it gets its smog checked every other year (passed). Just to be safe, I also check the tire pressure myself every time I fill up at the gas station. It's in reasonable working order and safe to drive. :cool:

where in Cali are you? There's a bunch of us on here.
Northern California, East SF Bay Area! Beautiful weather right now :)

I would make the decision on to keep or get rid of it fully dependent on the condition of the interior.
The interior is definitely not pristine, but I've seen worse in my friends' old cars. I'll post pictures when I get time tomorrow and let you guys decide.

Not worth putting money in in my opinion. Just drive and enjoy. How much did you give the aunt and uncle? If more than $3k, you paid to much.
Well after not being started/driven very often while I was away at college, my aunt & uncle told me it would take $1,200 to get all the necessary repairs to get it running again. Now that I'm home I need a car, so that's what I paid. They had it fixed and they handed over all the registration, insurance, etc.

If it's mechanically in good drivable condition, I would give it a $500 Maaco paint job or have it color wrapped to make it presentable and use it as DD.
I agree! I've heard good things about Maaco being the most economical place to get a paint job. Hopefully it'll look okay - I'm going to look into it.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm enjoying it for what it is, and hopefully when I get the $ sometime in the future, I can pick up a less-beat-up SL. :)

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
$1200 is definitely a good deal:thumbsup:

Get a $500 MACCO paint job and some sheep skin to cover the seats, and DRIVE IT !!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Great - start fixing what you can do yourself - get the front fog lights, you can find them cheap on eBay or any breaker.

Then you can get the front and rear bumpers either polished or painted in the same color of the car, it will really make it look nice.

Full paint as they said, but try to remove as many parts you can yourself (bumpers, grille, headlights, rear lights)

Then I would remove the rims, and give them a good cleaning and polishing (polish them the same as the the body).

Send some pictures of the engine bay.

Finally, remove the hardtop and enjoy it!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would at least try to see if some of the paint wear is oxidation that can be cut and polished. About $100 worth of Meguiars M105/205, and some wax wouldn't be too much to see if the car can be made presentable.

S500 Detailing

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
24 Participants
wlb50
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing