Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same problem

Hi I have also have skewed handbrake shoes leading to no handbrake, have tried all adjustments but it does nothing. The shoes sit inside the disc at a strange angle (ends face outwards rather than sitting flat) and now they have chamfered edges from where they have worn at the top and bottom. They have worn the inside of the disc at an angle, so I will have to replace both the discs and the shoes.

Can I confirm whether the two springs which fit between the two pads go on the inside (backplate side) or outside of the shoes. The fixing springs are all newish and have decent strength.

Does anyone have a photo of the setup? also is the adjuster supposed to go a specific way round?

Thanks for any help

Luke

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,393 Posts
I assume its a 638 as the details are for that model

I attach photos of the original setup...

the adjuster can be either way round but the one shown is the rh side.

the long spring is on the outside of the adjuster and is what stops the adjuster free-spinning.

the shoes are held against the backplate by the fat hooked spring as shown on the left of the pic.

I take pictures when I dismantle anything, simply so I can get it back together as weeks may elapse between dismantling and reassembly (poor health and the wife always wants something else first)

my mountings were ok, my problem was the backplates rotted apart causing the shoes to collapse.

hope the piccies help

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks

Great pictures, my van is the 638. I have put the top spring on the wrong way round, also the tabs on the shoes are all bent. I will order the new parts and refit. Might give the backing plates a quick paint to slow the march of corrosion...

Thanks again for the info / pics

·
Registered
13 Posts
Passed MOT, handbrake is currently working fine, just a note from tester about rear brakes being a little bit low but that could be the new discs/pads.

Thanks again for the info

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a problem with my handbrake too, i changed the shoes and pads last year and the handbrake was ace 👍 but shortly after, i found that the handbrake would jam on a little when i release it.

It frees off if i roll the van back a little before driving off, but that's not always possible, sometimes i have to pull away to get out of the road of traffic etc. then stop at the roadside to roll it back.

And it's definately no good come MOT time.

When i was fitting the shoes, getting the drum over them was a tight fit, so i kind of rubbed away the leading and trailing edges of the ferodo part of the shoe before fitting... i'd have thought doing this would have stopped the shoe biting in to the drum and sticking, but apparently not.

Anybody any ideas on that??? I've not taken it apart yet to have a look coz i've not been using the van much over the summer months.

Cheers,

Gordon.
Did you have any luck in the end? I'm just changing my rear brake shoes on my 2014 Mercedes sprinter and getting the hup back on is way to tight.
Cheers

Harry

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did you have any luck in the end? I'm just changing my rear brake shoes on my 2014 Mercedes sprinter and getting the hup back on is way to tight.
Cheers

Harry
Pretty sure I did Harry as the car was good before I sold it but it was 11 years ago, sorry, can’t remember what the problem was now. I’ve only just returned to the forum today for the first time in a decade as I’ve recently bought a 639.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts