Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Unimog 404 Rock Crawler
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm out at the hammers trails in Johnson valley, I've been killling all the trails in my 404 but I can't get up the back door trail. Has anyone crawled up the wall? If so what gear, and did you hug the left side or did you crawl right to left? I tried it with the crawler box 1st& 2nd gear and I almost get it. When I tried to drop the hammer in 1 st gear non crawler I lifted the front tire a couple feet and almost rolled it.

If anyone has concoured this run your wisdom would be appreciated because I'm thinking about a second attempt tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
72 Haflinger: 75 Pinzgauer 2.7i, 94 & 96 350GDT
1,659 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm out at the hammers trails in Johnson valley, I've been killling all the trails in my 404 but I can't get up the back door trail. Has anyone crawled up the wall? If so what gear, and did you hug the left side or did you crawl right to left? I tried it with the crawler box 1st& 2nd gear and I almost get it. When I tried to drop the hammer in 1 st gear non crawler I lifted the front tire a couple feet and almost rolled it.

If anyone has concoured this run your wisdom would be appreciated because I'm thinking about a second attempt tomorrow!
We better see some pics of your adventure - esp the wall even if you didn't make it up!
Thx

·
Registered
1968 unimog 404
38 Posts
Hammer the back door?.......thats obscene! I guess lube wont help in this case. Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Hammer the back door?.......thats obscene! I guess lube wont help in this case. Sorry, I'm out of ideas.
Nice!
Say where are you located in Ontario - I am in Toronto

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,433 Posts
Dan, ask Kai. Maybe he's done it...

Edit - Sorry. Wrong Dan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, That's funny, I should have thought a little bit more before I posted!

I tried it just at night and I couldn't get the right line, I'm going to save that run for next time! I did run Claw Hammer, Aftershock & Wrecking Ball and the mog did awesome on all of the runs, I was thoroughly impressed with the mog and the trails. There was a completely verticle waterfall climb on Wreckingball that the mog almost went end over end on, but when I went a foot to the left and let the craler gears do their work it climbed right up. Everyone in our group was blown away by how well the mog did.

While guys were blowing up Dana 80's in our group the mog just climbed through, the only problem I had was that my electric fuel pump stopped working I think because of a vapor lock and so I resorted to hooking my manual fuel pump back up and that worked great. As always after the manual pump started working and I was heading back, I heard my electric pump kick on?

The trip was great and I'm looking forward to going back soon, here is the link to all the photo's and a movie is in the works!

MobileMe Gallery

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
OK well that is just AMAZING!!!!
Dan I know your 404 is not stock but it is also not a Fully Custom $50,000 truggy.
And you were able to hang with those rigs!

People on the Hummer vs. Mog threat need to take a look here
Thanks for the pics

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I was pretty blown away myself, my 404 actually did quit a few lines easier than the buggies I was wheeling with. In all reality the only non stock 4x4 stuff on my 404 are:

Full Hydro (I wish was 416 PS)
Beadlocks
BFG Krawler Tires
Heavier duty Track Bar
Skid Plates
Springs

Not including moving the gas tank & battery out of harms way.

Those modifications are not that extreme compared to what most people do to their stock rigs, Jeeps, toyotas, etc!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.