Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes-Benz : Other AMG in Mercedes-Benz | eBay Motors

Car was in the shop some years ago, Healthy list of Needs.

Not a 6.0, 5.6 FWIW.

Still has stock 300E brakes.

Here are my inspection pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104360546679321103093/HammerInspection?noredirect=1

As I remember, all the spark plug holes had oil/coolant. Compression was all over the board. Rust was Everywhere.
RattleCan Andy had a blast on the underside of the car w/ a can of Rustoleum.

This is the Hammer for the fellow that wants to invest $$$$ to bring her back, which I'll say she does deserve....:surrender:

Jono

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,399 Posts
Rusting Betty....not for the faint of heart or short of cash.:p

Kevin

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Say again?

The crank would be the same, 5.6 or 6.0. Need to measure the piston to ensure a 6.0. (100mm)

From ebay:

Q:* Hello, There were two different displacement Hammer engines, a 5.6L and 6.0L. Do you have any documentation proving that this car has the 6.0L engine? The stroke can be measured via a spark plug hole if there is no documentation. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks! Aug-18-12
A:* I tried with no success to find the vehicle's original AMG sale slip. I do have the original AMG option booklets which show the actual choices selected from AMG. Always been advised this super rare version has the 6.0L Thanks for interest. Wishing this car goes to a place others can see...it's super nice piece of automotive history.

·
Registered
1993 300 CE Cabriolet
278 Posts
And I love that interior.

Those seats are seriously awesome. What in the world could all of those functions switches do? Is there any detailed information on those seats out there? Very curious.

And yes, that car looks like it was parked in brine.

Bob

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I can honestly say that I've never seen a back seat quite like that one. What kind of bank does it require to shell out for a pristine example of the breed?

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
Those seats are seriously awesome. What in the world could all of those functions switches do? Is there any detailed information on those seats out there? Very curious.

And yes, that car looks like it was parked in brine.

Bob
Seats are Recaro...a $10K AMG option...typically the Recaro Classic, C, and CSE..
Depending on how the seat was optioned buttons controlled seat movement, heaters, and bladders for the bolsters....

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
I can honestly say that I've never seen a back seat quite like that one. What kind of bank does it require to shell out for a pristine example of the breed?
Weak market, depending on seller motivation mid thirties to mid fourties...
Condition that this example is in, based on Jono's report and the rust problems, I'd go high teens to low twenties...

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
that buffalo and maple interior is quite special, though you could even call it subtle by today's standards. Also, this car must have sat outside for some amount of time or been exposed to some extreme elements, I can't see how else it would achieve such a state of decay with only 23k miles, my 123k mile 300E still looks new underneath

another oddity is in the pictures I see 3 different speedos on the car, the stock MB, a red AMG version, and an all white AMG face

hopefully the buyer of this car will get it back into the condition it deserves

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Maybe in this example....but 124's are not exactly on the red-hot 'to-do' list for total car restorations...not with depressed prices in the market place. Considering what Hammers and 500E's well equipped originally sold for, the payback is a pittance compared to the restoration costs.

Kevin

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figure to make this car Right you'll be in the 50+ range based on when I saw it last.

j

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,323 Posts
How high is this thing gonna go? I've already bid on it twice.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IDk, if people beleive the add, don't know about the threads on the boards someone will likely pay a Lot more then the current bid.

Sadly, once they get the car they're going to be Mighty bummed @ which point they'll call Hartmut and once they have been revived they'll give me a ring and only hang up the phone crying....:p

it would be Nice to see this car brought back properly, it is a cool example.

J

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,323 Posts
I seen this thread after I had already bid, thankfully. Still would like it though, but after seeing your photos, what I am willing to pay has dropped significantly.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can understand the desire...I'd likely say OK @ the 15-20K range knowing the $$ required and Time it will take. Much beyond that though and you would be better off chasing the Red show car down on Long Island.

Never did here where Aaron's black AMG Hammer sedan ran off to..or if he still has it, IDK.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Figure to make this car Right you'll be in the 50+ range based on when I saw it last.

j
Is it really that 'exclusive' to put that kinda $$ in it? I mean I guess it depends on the collector. For me, I'd rather start with a more rust-free example, but maybe there aren't that many out there like this?

Hey Jono, sell me that Hammer wagon...JK, couldn't afford it.:(

Kevin

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
#'s are a bit all over the board...For total production in the US, I use the numbers 13-19.
For World Wide production, AMG's in house mag did an article about a year ago where they put total production @ 54.
That's pretty exclusive company:)

Wagon is always for sale, it just requires a suit case full of cash for the transaction to proceed..which is pretty much what happens when the CO has no Real interest in selling his prized possession..;-)

One other item of note, I Do NOT know which cam bearings this engine has.. if it's not a 27.5mm unit you're playing with really HOT fire! Someone can ask him if they're bored, I doubt he knows.

Jono

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Yikes, why would this engine require cam bearings?

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Someone call the W124 ABUSE POLICE ! :eek:

Mein Gott in Himmel ! :crybaby2:

Such an exclusive automtobile abused and neglected like that - it's criminal !

:bash::bash::bash::bash:

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yikes, why would this engine require cam bearings?
Because the early ones are known to go bad, anything less than 27.5mm diameter and you stand the chance of your cams locking up going down the road.

FWIW, the cam bearings are an integral part to the head..so, um..changing them is shall we say tricky..and that'll only be an option once you find a set of late 27.5mm cams.

Ah, the nuance that is Hammer!:cool:

Jono

1 - 20 of 75 Posts