Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought this control arms, tie rods and ball joints from this guys, and for some reason, once the package arrived I decided to do online research ( instead of doing it before) I read some post on the benz forums and also BMW's that this weren't that good, that they were manufactured in India, or elsewhere in Asia, some said that it was eastern Europe and so on and so forth, this complaints date to the 2006 to 2008 , my question is anybody has actually use these parts or has any experience with them , I couldn't find anything bad after those dates. the shipper has agreed to a refund less S&H which I don't care if the pieces are not good I rather pocket the difference and bite the bullet and spend more money on the parts, or anybody has ideas where to get oem or oem quality parts for a good price. and last but not least does it have to be a Merc Tech mechanic , can it be a good ASE one, since my mechanic charges 90 an hours and he said this job would be around 7 hours. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Links and other information

I’m not sure one way or the other about the quality of the parts that you purchased. I purchased my parts through germanimportedparts.com and fcpgroton.com (note: they have the W220 ball joint miss listed). Please check my recent post on replacing exactly the parts that you are describing, the link is below:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1556976-lower-control-arm-stuck-airmatic-set.html

On another thread you will find information from Peterstar regarding the lower control arms, he has the information on two posts, so you need to read through:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1551206-lower-control-arm-replacement-2.html

As far as choosing the shop is concerned, this job will require some specialized tools and equipment, but nothing that a really well equipped shop wouldn’t have available. The hardest parts of this job are attaching the stabilizer links and replacing the ball joints. But I will say that since completing these repairs that my vehicle has never felt better on the road!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much, very informative, I'm thinking that since the bolt joints are the ones that are most sensitive, maybe purchase those from the dealer and stay with the control arms links and the rest of the stuff since it's metal should be good though

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Ball joint purchase

thank you very much, very informative, I'm thinking that since the bolt joints are the ones that are most sensitive, maybe purchase those from the dealer and stay with the control arms links and the rest of the stuff since it's metal should be good though
I went with Lemforder for the ball joints. They seem to have a very good reputation and they are cost effective. When I removed the factory ball joint I realized that is was identical to the Lemforder.

The part came from germanimportedautoparts.com, price was $34.20.

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
I would also recommend the Lemforder for the ball joints, available at rmeuropean.com for $30, they also offer free shipping for orders over $65.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts