Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even know where to begin. First, can someone tell me what the difference is between these 3 headlights? As I've stated in my other thread, I just bought a Duraflex BR-S body kit and now, I am looking for new headlights as well. My main concern is that I do not want the regular stock headlights as they are too dull and dim. Another concern I have is if I buy Xenon/Halogen lights, I want a cut-off line to be present. I've seen other W208s and E classes that have Xenon/Halogen, but they do not have the cut-off line that i desire.

So, i have looked at "projector" lights on Neweggmall.com

Neweggmall.com - '98-'02 Mercedes Benz CLK Black Housing Projector Headlights

and was wondering would these lights be the same as the headlights I've seen on CLK's and E classes I've mentioned earlier?

Also, can someone explain to me (as if i were a 6 year old) what "retro fitting" is? As I've gathered from other threads, this might have to be done?

Sorry if all of these headlight questions are becoming repetitive, but I just want to be on top of things when I mod my car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advanced.

:bowdown:

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,417 Posts
Ugh, I'm in the same boat man, someone should do a write up and then have it made into a stickied post.

Got some projectors, myself, and I don't know where to begin with getting new, brighter bulbs for'em. H7 bulb and H1? I think... that's like speaking martian to me. :(

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,417 Posts
As far as retrofitting goes, depends on the context. If you mean retrofitting the new headlights, assembly, casing, and all as seen on the newegg link, then it's just taking out the old lights and putting in the new ones.

As far as retrofitting xenons into the projectors, you'll need a conversion kit, I think runs 50 bucks, I think Hersh/Deyainredy4dis (did I spell that right? lol) did something like that with his car, looks really nice.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1385015-just-bought-black-projectors-325-free.html

peep that thread, tons of info, you may get some answers while waiting for a more knowledgeable response.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sigh***

okay fine... i will ask a more specific question... when i buy the projectors from neweggmall.com, will my lights be xenon, hid, or halogen??? do they come with bulbs?

·
Registered
01 CLK55 & 00 ML55
863 Posts
OK, so halogen is standard yellowish bulbs.

Xenon and HID are interchangeable. High intensity discharge...the gas inside the bulbs is xenon gas. These are the whiter or bluer bulbs you see. They require special ballasts to ignite the xenon in the bulbs. You can get different colors of xenons 3000k is yellow, 4500k is white, 6000k is light blue, 8000k is blue, 12000k purple and so forth. You get the most light between 4000 and 6000. Arguments claim that 4500-5000 is ideal.

Those projectors are designed for halogen bulbs. I believe they're H1 size. Might be H7, check the listing. You can install a xenon conversion kit in them (which is what many ppl here do). However, you do not get xenon cutoff because the projectors were not designed for xenon cutoff. There will be more glare than you would get in a xenon-specific projector.

Here is where *retro-fitting* comes in. It means disassembling typically a very good part and then reassembling it in replacement of a lower quality part. So you might want to take honda s2000 projectors (good quality i hear) for example and *retrofit* them into the housing for these new headlights. You put a different projector inside the housing so you get an ideal cutoff. Then you have xenon headlights with xenon projectors and the cool look. It's just more work and more expensive. Depends on how picky you are with your lighting.

:thumbsup: make sense?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so halogen is standard yellowish bulbs.

Xenon and HID are interchangeable. High intensity discharge...the gas inside the bulbs is xenon gas. These are the whiter or bluer bulbs you see. They require special ballasts to ignite the xenon in the bulbs. You can get different colors of xenons 3000k is yellow, 4500k is white, 6000k is light blue, 8000k is blue, 12000k purple and so forth. You get the most light between 4000 and 6000. Arguments claim that 4500-5000 is ideal.

Those projectors are designed for halogen bulbs. I believe they're H1 size. Might be H7, check the listing. You can install a xenon conversion kit in them (which is what many ppl here do). However, you do not get xenon cutoff because the projectors were not designed for xenon cutoff. There will be more glare than you would get in a xenon-specific projector.

Here is where *retro-fitting* comes in. It means disassembling typically a very good part and then reassembling it in replacement of a lower quality part. So you might want to take honda s2000 projectors (good quality i hear) for example and *retrofit* them into the housing for these new headlights. You put a different projector inside the housing so you get an ideal cutoff. Then you have xenon headlights with xenon projectors and the cool look. It's just more work and more expensive. Depends on how picky you are with your lighting.

:thumbsup: make sense?
thanks a bunch man... i appreciate it...

seems as though many bought these headlights... i guess my next question is about the beam pattern if i were to use the regular halogen bulbs. I know halogens arent as bright as xenon/hid, but am i more likely to blind oncoming traffic with these new projectors??

·
Registered
01 CLK55 & 00 ML55
863 Posts
dunno for sure. i have those projectors and a xenon kit thrown in. No fancy retrofitting, just xenon ballast and bulbs in those aftermarket projectors (made for halogen). I've tested them and had people drive by and tell me and no one has any complaints or claims to get blinded. Never had brights flashed at me either, so I assume they're fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts