Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to run NEW unused veggie oil in the 300 d turbo. Im thinking about running half diesel half veggie. I take real good care of my cars, and I dont want to do anything that would hurt my car. What do I need to do, to properly run this mix

·
Registered
23 Posts
sorry i have no answers but how much does veggie oil cost you? even at costco it's still more than diesel!

·
Registered
72 Posts
the other day, i started pumping B20 without noticing that the price had increased to $3.86/gal. by the time i filled up, total was $62 dollars. even regular diesel has increased to over $3.55 in our area. with diesel hovering at such highs, veggie oil is beginning to look interesting to me...

ytd300

sorry i have no answers but how much does veggie oil cost you? even at costco it's still more than diesel!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after some research..it seems even mixing 50/50 or 75/25 has ill effects. i was going to use new clean VO and think it down a bit..but i hardly think its worth it. The car was meant to run on diesel...let it be.

NOW maybe if i get this 64 unimog..i may experiment

·
Registered
124 Posts
What about a mix of BD with VO..since BD comes from veg oil,they may mix better.

BD mixes with standard Diesel as the lastest Jet flights prove,and many use 50/50 of BD and diesel in cars.

One way would be to get 100ml of BD and VO and mix in a clear container and see what happens. Try differant mixes.
50/50,75/25 etc.

If you try this, let us know how the mixing ratios go.

As for it being "illegal",who cares. There are many things "illegal" that go against common sence and are legal to make sure you conform to the latest whim of people who think they know better.See what they think in 10 years,thats my view.Im not saying this to have a go at Zedd,this is just my view.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Ah yes... Opinion over fact. If you think it's true, it is. Your DIESEL engine will NOT last ten years on Veggie oil.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
As for it being "illegal",who cares. There are many things "illegal" that go against common sence and are legal to make sure you conform to the latest whim of people who think they know better.
Illegal is illegal, no matter how you try to justify breaking the law.

Feel free to report any violations to the EPA Enforcement Office contact, Jack McLaughlin. [email protected]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Its not called 'justification', its called thinking for yourself.

If its so bad and they have 'reasons' for calling it illegal,why arent other countries banning it also ?

Why arent they banning the sales of kits that enable people to use WVO ?

·
Registered
646 Posts
If I recall correctly, its not illegal if you pay the tax per gallon of fuel used. There is a federal and state tax. Normally like 15-30 cents for each.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Why arent they banning the sales of kits that enable people to use WVO ?
There are, do some research and you will see.

If I recall correctly, its not illegal if you pay the tax per gallon of fuel used. There is a federal and state tax. Normally like 15-30 cents for each.
Incorrect. You can give the government all the money you want but it will always be illegal until you become EPA certified. To date, not a single conversion has been certified.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If wvo is so illegal, I suppose that you've never knowingly broken the law in any way? The EPA will do "what" to certify its use? Nothing, they can't control the tax. It's ALL money. It has nothing to do with the enviroment. The spin that the gov puts on things is craziness and fear. There has been technology for ultru high fuel economys and such, but they aren't used, why? It's the money!!!!

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
The EPA will do "what" to certify its use? Nothing, they can't control the tax. It's ALL money. It has nothing to do with the environment.
100% Incorrect. It is about the environment. If you don't believe it then go get your conversion certified and you'll be the first and only one in the USA legally using WVO.

The spin that the gov puts on things is craziness and fear. There has been technology for ultra high fuel economy and such, but they aren't used, why? It's the money!!!!
Strike 2! Incorrect again. It's only about power. It takes fuel to make power and Americans like to go fast. Fuel efficient cars are inherently slow. Look at the Prius- 0-60 in 11 seconds, the TDI Golf- 11.5 seconds, 240D- 0-60 in 20 seconds, ANY of the 70's and 80's econoboxes. It goes on and on. Fuel economy= SLOW.

There are no ultra high MPG cars because nobody really wants them or would actually buy them.

Would you honestly buy a 100mpg car that does 0-60 in 35 seconds and has a top speed of 65mph? No way in hell I would.

·
Registered
124 Posts
"100% Incorrect. It is about the environment. If you don't believe it then go get your conversion certified and you'll be the first and only one in the USA legally using WVO."

You really should read the links you provide Zedd !

Vegetable oil fuel is illegal ( link wouldnt paste)

Even what you call the link is incorrect.
It should be :"vegetable oil fuel delivery system is illegal"

Its not the fuel or the environment:
"the regulations in 40CFR state that alternative fuel systems must be approved "

"It seems the sticking point for pure vegetable oil is the delivery system, simply because no one has applied for and been approved to sell a secondary fuel source conversion kit for vegetable oil."

So dont say someone is "100% wrong" when you dont read the links you provide that you think back your claims. Look at the link. Its the delivery system not the environment.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Even what you call the link is incorrect.
It should be :"vegetable oil fuel delivery system is illegal"
So don't say someone is "100% wrong" when you don't read the links you provide that you think back your claims.
100% WRONG again! You should do a bit more research before you post again.

Subject: Re: not sure if WVO/SVO is approved to be used as an on-road fuel
Date: December 31, 2007 10:22:01 AM MST
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected], [email protected], LNewcomb**@cox.net, [email protected]

Hello Lance,
Thank you for your e-mail concerning using waste vegetable oil or
straight vegetable oil as a fuel to power your diesel vehicle.
Waste vegetable oil or straight vegetable oil cannot legally be used in
vehicles.
Raw vegetable oil or recycled greases (also called waste
cooking oil) that have not been processed into esters are not biodiesel,
and are not registered by EPA for legal use in vehicles. In addition,
vehicles converted to use these oils would likely need to be certified
by the EPA; to date EPA has not certified any conversions. These
conversions may also violate the terms of the vehicle warranty. For more
information on the certification process, please visit EPA's Web site
at: www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/cisd0602.pdf

Biodiesel (for example B20) is a great fueling option. You can find
information on biodiesel at our website:
Biodiesel | SmartWay Grow & Go | US EPA

Also, please find below a link to biodiesel.org and a fact sheet on the
difference between biodiesel and vegetable oil. Using straight
vegetable oil in your vehicle can harm your vehicle and negate your
vehicle warranty.
Biodiesel.org - FAQ

If you have any further questions, please feel free to give me a call at
303-312-6757.

Rebecca Russo
EPA Region 8
Air Quality Planning & Management Unit
Ph: (303) 312-6757

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
How stupid that it is illegal. I was thinking about doing it myself with mine. I could care less if the engine shits the bed, replacements are availble, at least around here. I've heard it's also illegal to manufacture your own biodiesel.

It all comes down to the almighty dollar, and taxes. No doubt about it. I've known people to get shipments of "heating oil" to their homes and run diesel vehicles on it. I do not think that's right at all, but the more expensive it gets, the more common it gets. I'm not some hippy-radical liberal anarchist, but some might recall that prohibition did not work.

I guess what irritates me about this post (and I don't get easily irritated) is Zedd's mightier than thou art attitude. I wish I could be as law abiding and eco-concious as you, dude-- Oh, I noticed in your profile that you removed your EGR. That's legal... PS... I don't care if it's grandfathered by year in your state.

Diesel polutes more than veg oil as a fuel. I know it does because I actually did a report on in in college, because it's always interested me. I'd have to dig deep into boxes to find the actual reports of exhaust that I analyzed.. but it was remarkable how much cleaner the veg oil ran. It actually ran cleaner than the particular smog controlled gasoline engine that was also tested (which was older... today's newer vehicles are probably better).

New diesels that I work on every day run extremely clean, with their aftertreatment systems and more careful fuel metering and timing. However, unless they are run regularly at highway speeds over a good distance, they require significant maintenance. They are about as dependable as the smog strangled gasoline engines of the late 70s and early 80s.

End aggrivated rant.

Aaron

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Oh, I noticed in your profile that you removed your EGR. That's legal... PS... I don't care if it's grandfathered by year in your state.
I don't give a rats behind if you care about it, it is legal!

Diesel pollutes more than veg oil as a fuel. I know it does because I actually did a report on in in college
You must have noticed then that NOx emissions are higher with VO. Even then, emissions greatly vary with each engine type and fuel contents/quality.

New diesels that I work on every day run extremely clean, with their after treatment systems
They are just as dirty as their predecessors, its the after treatment systems that make them appear clean.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts