Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally had my "sealed for life" transmission fluid changed. I had them put the magnet in the pan while they're at it. He said the fluid looked pretty good inside... about what you'd expect from a well made vehicle with 63k miles... but not new. Good to hear because i've been a little nervous about the long term service life of the tranny now dealing with more power than traditionally on such a heavy vehicle... guess it means i can really start stomping on it.

They did the double drain and fill to better purge the torque converter.

I was planning to change at 50k miles... to me it translates that 60k is o.k... a reasonable time to change it.... but that it really makes sense to change it for the long run. Fuild, filters, and a gaskets are cheap. And I trust someone to change the fluid correctly without screwing something else up in the process more than i trust someone to replace my tranny.

Off topic, the rear pads i got were supposed to be sensorless... but they had the sensor relief and the shop put a sensor back in there before i could tell them not to... I hate that stupid sensor... (but if it wasn't "no-brakes" erik driving i'd probably recommend it... espcially for someone who only does the 10k mile services.)

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
ewalberg - 4/19/2005 6:23 PM

So i finally had my "sealed for life" transmission fluid changed.

They did the double drain and fill to better purge the torque converter.
If anyone is interested, I've updated my writeup for this service to reflect the fact that there is a brand new MB ATF that is supposed to be better than what is in the tranny from the factory.

If you want a copy, drop me an email.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake fluid... It was planned, i'll double check when i pick it up... like right now...

New Tranny fluid... is it replacing the old as standard, or is it only on special request?

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
ewalberg - 4/19/2005 7:50 PM

Brake fluid... It was planned, i'll double check when i pick it up... like right now...

New Tranny fluid... is it replacing the old as standard, or is it only on special request?
I don't know much about it, except that it was designed for use in the new 7-speed auto. It is supposedly quite superior. Probably quite more expensive, too; but I don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
I would not worry too much about the 5-speed auto holding up to the V8 power and weight. Remember, this same tranny is used on AMG models with over 450 HP and over 500 ft-lbs of torque. In fact, this same tranny is used on the V12 Bi-turbo with over 600 Hp and 700 ft-lbs of torque. From what i read, AMG only quicken the shift speed...not really strengthening it.

The 600HP/700torque limit is probably where our tranny maxes because AMG had to limit the engine output due to the tranny's limit. The new 7-speed auto is supposed to be able to handle even more output!

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
aggragated - 4/19/2005 10:51 PM

Dutch,
How well would this fluid work in a manual 460?
It is not necessary. Why pay +$15/liter for something you don't need? Use a good brand name Dexron ATF and you'll be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts