Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer did all the standard stuff plus a brake fluid flush and coolant flush.

They also fixed the semi-common rattling catalytic converter problem with the SLK32. Unlike a few others that had the problem, it didn't show up in my car until it was 1.5 years old. I had told them about it during my last 4 warranty/service visits but they never could reproduce it. I finally figured out a guaranteed way to reproduce it and told them today and they were able to reproduce it and fix it. The fix was to loosen the exhaust bolts at the mainfolds, push a wedge between the catalytic converters to push them a couple millimeters farther apart, tighten the bolts, then pull out the wedge. It's too early to tell if it's a permanent fix, but it was simple and it is working so far.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
RE: Mine's coming up...

With so little mileage, I'm on the once a year plan. I'll likely get it done in June.

When I had my resonator removed, there were some horrible sounds coming from the cats. We played with the exhaust bolts but couldn't consistantly make the sound go away so we just tacked the cats together and it made it stop. I think without the resonator there is more vibration and they are just too close together.

Btw, I wish I had not removed the resonator. There is some definite droning at low RPM that doesn't sound very nice. I know a lot of people of done it but I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: Mine's coming up...

I am on the once a year plan myself.

I removed the resonator, the shop did a fantastic job. I had no issues with rattling or any other odd noises.

I am very happy with the resonator removal. I do occasionally notice the droning that Steve is refering to but not very often.

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
121 Posts
I'm a slacker -

I'm hoping to get enough miles on to have my first 'B' service before my 4 years runs out in November. Per FSS I've got 4700 miles to go. - Damn! looks like I might be forced [:D] to make some top down summer trips to the coast or now that they've reopened the Mt. St. Helens viewpoint again; a run up there would add 400 miles or so.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
brian when we goin out for a beer man?

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will still get it.

The FSS will tell you service is required if go 2 years since your last service, regardless of mileage.

If this is your first B service, then your first A service must have been about two years ago.

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Send me an e-mail via Benzworld

I'd be up for it next weekend. I've got my in-laws in town and I'd like to get away for a few hours.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
I just got my cats replaced under warranty because they were rattling. I only had 25K miles on the car. The exhaust emmission parts are covered for 8 years or 80K miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts