Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

H7 low beam LED bulb with no error light

1149 Views 20 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ath20wj
I've seen a few threads on these, with no clear answer.

Just seeing if anyone has found a decent H7 LED bulb that doesn't set off the lamp failure warning light/error message with the CANBUS in the car. Trying to get an updated thread going as opposed to one from 6 years ago.

Thanks.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

2000 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, 2006 S500 4Matic, and 2006 S350
7,724 Posts
Yes, I have H7 LED's in my 2006 S350, no problems. My neighbor, the original owner of the car, put 'em in a few years ago to replace the burned-out halogens. They originally were in the low-beam position; after I did a bi-xenon upgrade to the car, I put 'em in the high-beam position. They work very well. Remind me to get you the info on these.

However, I should caution you. You won't get any brighter output of light vs. a halogen bulb. No, you won't; I've done the side-by-side comparison. If you're looking for brighter light output, then you're looking at a projector upgrade, which means opening up the headlamp assembly and replacing the projectors with either bi-xenons (as I did) or the new bi-LED projectors. You must do THE ENTIRE PROJECTOR, not just the bulb, in order to do this properly and not be dangerous to oncoming traffic at night.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a more bluish output to look cooler (nothing wrong with that, BTW) without an increased light output, then the H7 LED "bulbs" will do that very nicely, without being dangerous to others at night.

Reactions: ath20wj and Noodles

· Registered
1987 260 E & 2013 E 350
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have H7 LED's in my 2006 S350, no problems. My neighbor, the original owner of the car, put 'em in a few years ago to replace the burned-out halogens. They originally were in the low-beam position; after I did a bi-xenon upgrade to the car, I put 'em in the high-beam position. They work very well. Remind me to get you the info on these.

However, I should caution you. You won't get any brighter output of light vs. a halogen bulb. No, you won't; I've done the side-by-side comparison. If you're looking for brighter light output, then you're looking at a projector upgrade, which means opening up the headlamp assembly and replacing the projectors with either bi-xenons (as I did) or the new bi-LED projectors. You must do THE ENTIRE PROJECTOR, not just the bulb, in order to do this properly and not be dangerous to oncoming traffic at night.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for a more bluish output to look cooler (nothing wrong with that, BTW) without an increased light output, then the H7 LED "bulbs" will do that very nicely, without being dangerous to others at night.
I think a whiter light would be great. If it's dark I'll just use my high beams.

Which LED bulb did you use? I ordered some but they made the light come on saying I had a bulb out.

· Registered
1987 260 E & 2013 E 350
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Any update on brand? lol

· W163 and General M Gremlin
15,938 Posts

· Registered
1987 260 E & 2013 E 350
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
had these in my w210 without issue. haven't yet tried them in it's replacement w211;

I tried these, and never could get them to fit.

The little brackets they sent wouldn't work with my car. No lamp failure light, and they're for sure bright. Hate I couldn't use them.

· Registered
1999 e550 amg
608 Posts
I tried these, and never could get them to fit.

The little brackets they sent wouldn't work with my car. No lamp failure light, and they're for sure bright. Hate I couldn't use them.
you'll probably need adapters like these;

i've ordered but, not yet tried to install. the adapters fit the led's, haven't tried to install into the car (it's a tight fit, even with my dainty hands and the darn wire insulation is brittle and flakey - i might be looking at a bumper cover removal to get at the headlights to properly fix all this...).
Product Font Gas Jewellery Machine

· Registered
1987 260 E & 2013 E 350
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you'll probably need adapters like these;

i've ordered but, not yet tried to install. the adapters fit the led's, haven't tried to install into the car (it's a tight fit, even with my dainty hands and the darn wire insulation is brittle and flakey - i might be looking at a bumper cover removal to get at the headlights to properly fix all this...). View attachment 2787071
I'll have to order those adaptors and give it a try. It's not a lot of room to get to the driver's side headlight on the w212 cars either. I can BARELY get it done. Haha.

I'll order it and give it and try and let you know how I do. The brackets they sent with it were also pretty loose on the bulb, maybe these will be better.

· Registered
1987 260 E & 2013 E 350
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As an update, still wouldn't fit with the new brackets. I'll send them back to Amazon, and my search will continue.

· Registered
1999 e550 amg
608 Posts
As an update, still wouldn't fit with the new brackets. I'll send them back to Amazon, and my search will continue.
yikes, sorry if i steered you towards an ill-fitting part. what was the problem?

when i tried to fit these led's with the stock brackets, the bracket couldn't go over the cylinder base of the led. i was tempted to get out my dremel and grind away but, found these...

· Registered
1987 260 E & 2013 E 350
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yikes, sorry if i steered you towards an ill-fitting part. what was the problem?

when i tried to fit these led's with the stock brackets, the bracket couldn't go over the cylinder base of the led. i was tempted to get out my dremel and grind away but, found these...
No, not your fault at all! I appreciate the input. The housings are just different in the W212 from the W210. I'll have to research and find something else.

· Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,540 Posts
Your best bet is a 65 W H7, aka H9 capsule on an H7 base:

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

· Registered
1987 260 E & 2013 E 350
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your best bet is a 65 W H7, aka H9 capsule on an H7 base:

The Ultra High Output Vosla? How is the color of the bulb?

3,540 Posts
The Ultra High Output Vosla? How is the color of the bulb?
I don't have an H7 using vehicle I'm afraid. I confess there are 14 in the household. I used to have a '13 Smart ForTwo that I believe did, but since I was happy with the lighting I never researched upgrades. So I don't really know.

I do know as much as possible avoid bulbs with blue tint, or prefer ones with the least blue tint. From the pictures there isn't any so you won't lose any output.

Also be sure to properly aim them or you may blind others...

3,540 Posts
Someone found them on eBay I can not promise they are the real deal but the seller has excellent rep:

No blue tint decreasing output...

· Registered
1987 260 E & 2013 E 350
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Someone found them on eBay I can not promise they are the real deal but the seller has excellent rep:

No blue tint decreasing output...

Thank you.

· Registered
1999 e550 amg
608 Posts
finally got around to installing my auxito led h7's (were in my w210). unfortunately, those adapter brackets didn't work for me either but, i found this helpful video showing how the stock brackets can be modified (they could still hold the halogen bulbs);

as my leds were a different brand, i had to do things a bit differently. access is tight, often working blind and i spent some time trying to wrap the brittle flaking insulation on the headlight wiring. it would be much easier with the headlights removed (bumper cover comes off for that). took me about 2 hours, could probably halve that now i know what the hell i'm doing...

since the led bulbs slip into the collars and are held there only by friction (2 o-rings), i'll keep an eye on that.

led on passenger side, halgen on driver side;
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Hood

unmodified stock bracket with halogen (yes, i wiped it afterwards. i'll keep them in the car as spares);
Finger Engineering Thumb Auto part Electronic component

flattening some of the tabs so the led's sleeve fits flush and the led sits as deep into the reflector as the halogen;
Hand Fluid Finger Nail Thumb

Hand Finger Nail Thumb Gas

stock bracket needs to be trimmed to fit the led's sleeve / collar;
Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist Tints and shades

after cutting a slot to open up the hole like the youtube video, i scored it with my dremel to ease / guide the folding;
Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Water Sand

it fits! go a little at a time so it's snug;
Finger Thumb Automotive lighting Nail Wood

they both work, no bulb error messages, no blown fuses and no electrical fires (yet?)! can't wait for dark to try 'em out! in my w210, these were much brighter and didn't prompt high beam flashes from my fellow motorists;
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

here's the thread after my w210 install;

· Registered
1987 260 E & 2013 E 350
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually ended up having some HIDs installed from Tint World.

No warning lights, no flashing from other drivers. They did a very clean install too. No loose cables or anything. I'll have to attach some photos a little later.

· Registered
1999 e550 amg
608 Posts
how much did that cost you, ath20wj?

i ended up using the adjuster to slightly lower the beams, 2 other drivers let me know it was blinding on a short test drive. after the adjustment seems to be fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts