Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not "plug and play" as shown.

You need a ballast for each light and may need wiring changes to use that bulb at all. It also may not perform properly in a fixture made for a standard halogen, don't think it will, but I haven't tried it.

If you want HID you really need to change the whole headlight assembly. There's a bazillion threads on which ones people have used and how they worked out. I got a set for $3-400 from an online supplier that advertised here; went in OK, work OK, but I'm not thrilled with them. They are better than stock, though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a ballast for each light and may need wiring changes to use that bulb at all. It also may not perform properly in a fixture made for a standard halogen, don't think it will, but I haven't tried it.

If you want HID you really need to change the whole headlight assembly. There's a bazillion threads on which ones people have used and how they worked out. I got a set for $3-400 from an online supplier that advertised here; went in OK, work OK, but I'm not thrilled with them. They are better than stock, though.
How about if I just replace OEM 55W H7 light bulb with 100W H7? Do you think if OEM headlamp (99 ML and 05 ML with projection light) assembly can take additional heat?

Thanks,

·
Purple Moderator
21,709 Posts
You will melt wires and possibly even damage the housing. The heat at 100 watts is
too much and the circuit is not designed for that load.
Get the 65w H7 from suvlights.com. They actually are a marked improvement.

Keep in mind anything over 55w is illegal in most countries. I run the 65w and have not had
any issues with the cops.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will melt wires and possibly even damage the housing. The heat at 100 watts is
too much and the circuit is not designed for that load.

Keep in mind anything over 55w is illegal in most countries. I run the 65w and have not had
Thanks,

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've installed 35 watts H7 HID Conversion kit on my 2002 ML. I purchased the kit from the website below...

HID Wholesale - HID Buyers - HID Distributors, HID Importers, HID Wholesale Buyers

I wouldn't suggest 55 watt system as it is not necessary. Most aftermarket HID Conversion kits are 35 watts. At first, I thought the kit was complete but discovered that I had to buy a relay kit to get it working on my ML. The company that I bought the kit from recommended me to get the relay kit. Without the relay kit, the lights will turn off when you are driving. What the relay kit does it is take the power directly from the battery straight to the ballasts.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is the kit I use on my ML.

It's 35 watt and works awesome.

If you need help mounting the ballasts, contact me. I have pictures.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Merzatt, do you have that HID kit from DDM? if so, are they brighter than the oem setup? I have the ML55, and that comes stock with bi zenon, so idk if that will work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
replace low and high beams?

I'm a little in the dark (no pun intended) about HID headlights. Are you replacing both low beams and hi beams? With one set of ballasts? and stock OEM wiring up to the ballasts?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Ridiculous to convert to HID in the standard headlight assembly - light pattern is horrible, huge degradation in effective light coverage.

Most cost effective upgrade, retaining original beam pattern the headlight assembly was designed for is the 65W bulb upgrade from a credible seller like Daniel Stern Lighting.

I guess some people think HID is "cool" or makes your ML go faster... they are convinced (after they invest the cost and effort to do the conversion) that their "HID upgrade is better, at least that is what they convince themselves after the fact.

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
Ridiculous to convert to HID in the standard headlight assembly - light pattern is horrible, huge degradation in effective light coverage....
Completely agree and the reason most do it is for "show." Without going into details,just do it properly - Ref: Black3's post
If you want HID you really need to change the whole headlight assembly. There's a bazillion threads on which ones people have used and how they worked out
The non-HID OEM headlamp glass has patterns designed to scatter the light in a specific manner suited for halogens but absolutely unsuitable for HID lamps. I did the HID conversion on my '96 Z with projector lamps and could still see that the scatter was unacceptable due to the designed patterns in the headlamp glass. It seems like the current popular lighting thing is to show how white/blue/purple your lamps are. That's OK as long as you keep it safe for the drivers coming towards you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Ebay seller posts the 70W H7 only last for 200 hours. What is your experience?

Does upgrade from 55 to 65W really make the visible difference on the road?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

I would think it would make more of a difference on the projector headlight housing than the reflector. As for how much of a difference in general, I can't say as I've never tried them.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
383 Posts
It really depends on what you're trying to do.

If you just want to see better at night, polish the OEM lenses and put in high-quality halogen bulbs. My experience is that the higher the "claimed" wattage, the shorter the lifespan. If you want a little blue, the PIAA aftermarket halogens have enough blue that somebody might think you had HIDs.

If you want high-performance HID lights, you have to buy the whole headlight assembly and you can spend a LOT of money. Most people opt for the HID projector low-beam and a halogen high beam and you can get decent ones for $3-500 depending on supplier and fixtures. As others have said, it does you no good and harms others to put HIDs in halogen reflector lamp housings. You have to be very thorough with the installation and aiming of HIDs or the rest of the World will hate you and your over-bright, poorly aimed blue lights in their eyes. Hardly a week goes by here without a letter to the editor calling for "blue lights" to be banned because all the rice rocket boys and punks with jacked-up pickups put HIDs in their cheap ass stock headlights and run down the road with their high-beams on so everybody knows they're cool.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would think it would make more of a difference on the projector headlight housing than the reflector. As for how much of a difference in general, I can't say as I've never tried them.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Thanks for your input. I am getting a 70w one. Hopefully it will not generate too much heat for the 05ML projection light housing.
Do you experiencing any heat problem?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am on the same page. The 65s make a marked improvement.
Thanks for your input. I am getting a 70w one. Hopefully it will not generate too much heat for the 05ML projection light housing.

Do you experiencing any heat problem?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts