Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Euro 560SEL
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advise on what is the best H4 blub choice with my euro. I think the previous owner fitted with 45/55 blub to statisfy the Japanese regulation, so it's rather dark. Unlike the variety we get with American Bulbs, (long life, extra vision), there just seemd to be one kind out there. Which brand do you guys use? Also does anyone know is the 9003 bulb interchangeable with H4 bulb. It look like both share the same base. There are much more variety with 9003.

Thanks

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
For well under $300 these days, you can get an HID H4 hi/lo setup with movable shield, ballasts, etc. They are SUPER bright and work well.

Some of the H4 dual beam systems are junky, but McCullough makes a nice one and there is a guy on the Honda cylce boards that arranges the good deals, Andy Chiu. I'll try to find his email info for you.

Also nice bonus, they last much loniger than ordinay halogen bulbs due to lower wattage/heat. At least the good kits do.

Compare that to replacement wiring harness (which you should do if using high-wattage halogen bulbs) and new high-wattage bulb costs, plus labor for wiring harness if needed, and they are pretty close in price.

Bruce

·
Registered
67 250SL & 87 560SEC
93 Posts
No good "blue" bulbs

Mike,

There are those more knowledgeable than I that would say that there are no good "blue" bulbs. Everyone wants the pure white look that HID lighting provides, but have a look here, and you might want to reconsider:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/blue.html

Count yourself as one of the lucky ones - you already have a Euro version with good headlight housings. Get yourself a set of Osram Silverstar +50% H4s from Powerbulbs.co.uk and get the best, whitest light possible. They ship free to Canada.

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/product...eHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=88

I put them in both my SEC and my Rover, and they are great.

·
Registered
1990 Euro 560SEL
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rico_vancouver said:
Mike,

There are those more knowledgeable than I that would say that there are no good "blue" bulbs. Everyone wants the pure white look that HID lighting provides, but have a look here, and you might want to reconsider:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/blue.html

Count yourself as one of the lucky ones - you already have a Euro version with good headlight housings. Get yourself a set of Osram Silverstar +50% H4s from Powerbulbs.co.uk and get the best, whitest light possible. They ship free to Canada.

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/product...eHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=88

I put them in both my SEC and my Rover, and they are great.
Hi Rico:

Thanks for the tip. You are right, they are fair price. However, did you use H4 or H7 bulb? According to their guide, our car take H7 bulb. Strange, I alway thought ours take the H4.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
89' 300SE 80' 240D
616 Posts
mkyang said:
Hi Rico:

Thanks for the tip. You are right, they are fair price. However, did you use H4 or H7 bulb? According to their guide, our car take H7 bulb. Strange, I alway thought ours take the H4.

Regards,

Mike
Just curious which is better H4 or H7???

·
Registered
230 Posts
Note the OSRAM H4's are better from Euro

Note that the OSRAM Silverstars are better/diferrent if ordered from the UK than sold in rhe US.... eBay also has a variety of Euro sellers of the Euro version that ship to the US...

·
Registered
67 250SL & 87 560SEC
93 Posts
Mike - the Euro housings use H4s; not sure why the Powerbulbs site recommends H7s. If you are concerned, just pop the back of your headlight housing off, and pull the plug. It should have three spade connectors, not two.

And there is a difference in "Silverstars" purchased in the UK from "Osram" vs. buying the US version which is actually the Sylvania one. Stick with Powerbulbs, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
86 560sec-168K -Ext. Light Ivory/Int. Black/01 E320 4Matic Wagon Brl Silver/Black/ Mad '95 Q45
852 Posts
New OSRAM H4 Night breaker +90 ?? anyone use yet ???

·
Registered
82 300sd, 84 500sec
231 Posts
On the Night Breakers, a review on a honda site seemed to be saying that they're a little more blue on the high beams than the Osram SilverStar bulbs, less than the Sylvania SilverStars.

Intensity wise, they're a little brighter in low beam, and a good bit brighter than stock in high beam. That site suggested that they'd be great for someone who is out between cities often, but only a mild improvement for someone who's using low beam most of the time.

·
Registered
86 560sec-168K -Ext. Light Ivory/Int. Black/01 E320 4Matic Wagon Brl Silver/Black/ Mad '95 Q45
852 Posts
spoke to a distributer said forget nightbreaked
and get osram 85/80 or the 100's

·
Premium Member
1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 2012 C300 4Matic Sport / 2006 CLS500 AMG
2,349 Posts
I am running the OSRAM 70W/65W's, they work great and are bright enough for those backroads with no street lights without overdoing it in the city.

The higher the wattage, the more beefing up of your factory wiring will be needed.

- Steve

·
Registered
852 Posts
installed my osram 85
and look great but does not seem that much different then my osram 65 . just against garage
will roll with 2morrow

·
Registered
1982 Euro 500 SEC, 1985 300D Turbo Diesel (338,000 miles!), 1984 Euro BRABUS 190E
275 Posts
On the subject of lights, what bulbs are the fog lights, are hey h3's? I'm pretty sure they were on my w124, but I'm not sure about the fog lights on my sec's front skirt. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
On the SD, they are H-3's. I no longer have any around for a 123.
IIRC, it was a sealed beam affair.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 500 SEC (Euro)
261 Posts
Hey Jevile219, you have a 1982 euro 500SEC, exactly as mine!! Search my posts for a complete vacuum diagram with explanation.

The fog lights are indeed H3. BTW, they can be adjusted pretty easily by opening the plastic cover and moving the two plastic dials for adjusting vertical and horizontal angle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts