Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300CD 1983 230E
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am looking to do some suspension upgrades on my 92 W124 300E. I want to first updates my springs & shocks. I was wondering which springs were a better fit on the 300E the H&R springs or Vogtland for daily driving and what shocks I would need or if the stocks would work??? Totally new to the suspension game on these old Mercs any help would be mucho appreciated! - CQ

·
Registered
1988 560 SL (sold)/1995 E320
676 Posts
Thinking of the same for my 95 E320. Will be doing it in spring. My indie (motorwerks in Michigan) recommends the vogtlands with the HD bilsteins that are on my car. They say it is the closest to the sportline feel.

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
917 Posts
Bilstein B12 spring and skock kit. Tot up the spring points for your car, go to the Bilstein website and select the appropriate kit. Easy.

My Sportline needed new, thicker spring pads at the front to even things up. It now looks great and corners flat.

RayH

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
If you want the look and handling of Sportline, you could consider just running with factory Sportline springs. I have H&Rs on my wagon, and they cost about the same amount as a set of genuine MB Sportlines. I ran with Bilstein Sports, but the HDs might work well on a sedan.

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,268 Posts
What about B & G ? I'm waiting for an eBay seller to reply how bad he's going to rape me on shipping to Hawaii.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
What about B & G ? I'm waiting for an eBay seller to reply how bad he's going to rape me on shipping to Hawaii.
I am happy with my B&Gs on the Cab ...
bought them after reading favorable comments from premium car owners.

Pretty deep drop, maybe more than some want.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
If you want the look and handling of Sportline, you could consider just running with factory Sportline springs. I have H&Rs on my wagon, and they cost about the same amount as a set of genuine MB Sportlines. I ran with Bilstein Sports, but the HDs might work well on a sedan.
Thats odd. I got a set of front and back for about 2/3 the cost of sportlines in just the front.

Vogtland vs H&R

I have both, vogtlands in my W123 and H&R in my w124. Its hard to compare the two for obvious reasons but if I can say anything I was really disappointed in the vogtlands as they clearly did not do enough testing. Everyone on the group buy ended up with reverse rake, with largest nubs in back and single nub in front for the shims. Most of us ended up taking a coil or so off. The H&R's seem stiffer on the W124 but again apples and oranges.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
It appears that MB has jacked their prices (again), so Sportlines look like they're about $60 more for a set of four than the best H&R price I could find.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
I have a set of B&G's waiting to get installed onto my coupe. :D
They're essentially the higher end of eibach.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts