Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 C43 AMG
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had both on their C43, and was there a difference in the amount it lowered your car? Does anyone have specific differences in the US and Euro Spec AMG springs?

Basically, i'm on H&R Sport springs and the thickest shim pad now. I'm looking to raise the car, but not quite to stock. Ideas please?

·
Registered
c43, 280sl, s600
6 Posts
US vs Euro Spec springs.

Being from Europe where I had several C43's and one C55, when moving over here I immediately changed that springs on my US C43. The main reasons for the change were ride comfort, which was terrible, and ride height with US spec springs. The ride height was some 48mm higher in the front and 44mm in the rear compared to the Euro version of the C43.

After changing to the Euro spec. springs the car is dramatically more comfortable and have a "proper" AMG look. I also changed the wheels to 18" monoblock with 235x35/18 in the front and 265x30/18 in the rear.

I have also changed so that I have daylight driving light on now, for safety reasons.

Next project is to put cryogenically treated rotors on with ceramic break pads.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
how much do the euro springs cost and who makes them....

how much do the euro springs cost and who makes them.

·
Registered
c43, 280sl, s600
6 Posts
how much do the euro springs cost and who makes them....

Actually, you can contacted any MB dealer in Germany and get them for them or even AMG directly, they were some 400 Euros and the installation was $450.

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
will i be able to order those from the mercedes dealer here thanks...

will i be able to order those from the mercedes dealer here thanks

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re:

Yes, because they are not "AMG" springs, they are just springs that Mercedes fits to a variety of cars, mostly E-class (W210).

-s-

·
Registered
c43, 280sl, s600
6 Posts
Just for your information, these springs was picked up by me personnally at the AMG factor...

Just for your information, these springs was picked up by me personnally at the AMG factory in Altaffenbach 10 miles north of Stuttgart.

These kind of springs CAN be bought at ant Mercedes dealer in Germany but they cannot be bought here in North America.

I have visited the Mercedes North America office in Montvale NJ to get these springs but they refuse to sell them as they have decided that the road conditions here in USA are so poor that an additional road clearance is required.

The springs I have on my car are not "just springs that Mercedes fits to a variety of cars, mostly E-class (W210)". The reason being, I highly doubt that Mercedes fit AMG springs on a variety of cars. Please note that these springs are painted with black high gloss and have the AMG logo on two spots.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
You're welcome to think that... but I believe you're wrong. :)

You're welcome to think that... but I believe you're wrong. :)

(Well, I am sure that you picked them up in Affalterbach, but not "Altaffenbach"... and I'm sure Mercedes in Montvale wouldn't sell them to you... I don't mean you are wrong about that. Just about nearly everything else.)

The simple reason is not that Mercedes fits AMG springs on a variety of cars. It's that AMG fits Mercedes springs on its cars, which Mercedes also fits on other cars. Believing that your springs are special or unique is just a form of denial.

See here for more information. With part numbers, you can buy just about anything. These part numbers are confirmed by Euro and USA EPC.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32451

-s-

·
Registered
c43, 280sl, s600
6 Posts
A man in denial.

Yes, I agree with you that I am not correct, the town or village AMG is located is Affalterbach.

I am confused though as I was informed by the AMG suspension technician that using US VIN number certain part numbers for the springs were to be used. However, when using a “rest of the world� chassis number different part numbers were to be used.

I am quite positive that the springs I have got are AMG spring as they are different to the ones that were fitted on my car. Both in appearance and characteristics. But again, you may know better.

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
Re: Re:

Yes, because they are not "AMG" springs, they are just springs that Mercedes fits to a variety of cars, mostly E-class (W210).

-s-

So scorchie if i put w210 springs in my car they will fit with no mods and my car will be more comfortable will the performance and ride height matter if i use e320 or e55 springs what do you recomend.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: A man in denial.

I am confused though as I was informed by the AMG suspension technician that using US VIN number certain part numbers for the springs were to be used. However, when using a “rest of the world� chassis number different part numbers were to be used.

I am quite positive that the springs I have got are AMG spring as they are different to the ones that were fitted on my car. Both in appearance and characteristics. But again, you may know better.
You are correct. US-spec springs and different than Euro-spec springs. I think you are misunderstanding me though...

Springs differ in two main areas... spring rate and spring length. Changing the length does affect the rate, but let's talk about springs in their static state.

Mercedes makes a whole series of different springs. They have different rates and lengths. These different springs are spec'd for different cars. Higher spring rates are generally for use in a heavier car. Spring rates can also be increased to vary the "sporty" driving nature of the car. Different spring lengths are used to vary the ride height of a specific car. The different thickness spring shims (often referred to as "pads" on the forums) are used to vary the space between spring perches, effectively changing the length of the spring.

For a given car, using the weight based on the number of options installed, the desired ride height based on the car market, and the intended ride quality, the intended spring and shim can be calculated.

Because Mercedes wanted a more "sporty" driving quality with the AMG models, a higher spring rate was in order. Depending on whether the AMG car is intended for US or Euro markets, a different spring length is chosen to provide different ride heights. Since Mercedes has a huge catalog of different springs from which to choose, the logical course would be for AMG to specify what the desired characterstics are, then choose the off-the-shelf spring that matches these characteristics. The W210 E-class springs are higher spring rates to handle the slightly increased weight of the car, so these were used. That's why the AMG cars come from the factory with springs that look like regular Mercedes springs and have regular Mercedes part numbers.

When items are purchased in Affalterbach, it is possible that these items are "branded" in a different manner... they may have an AMG logo affixed. I purchased an "AMG 35th Anniversary Chronograph" which is only available in Affalterbach. It isn't much different from a run-of-the-mill Sinn chronograph, but it does have the AMG logo affixed! So I guess it is a matter of perspective... although it may be the same item, it is marked differently, and to some, that may mean a lot. But if people here are trying to achieve lowered ride height and order the parts from their dealerships, I will say "Yes you can do it."

-s-

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
The mystique of springs

Bear in mind this 'suspension technician' has to toe the party line. AMG must follow orders from MB, and their philosophy is to make large sales with minimum hassle. The 'technicians' will not want you doing all sorts of weird things to invite comment.
As to springs, why all the mystique? MB and AMG probably do not make springs as such - more like they get Eibach or such to do it and brand them. There are dozens of combinations. You can use what you like depending on what you want and what weight you carry - as S says.
What you cannot do is specify remotely what another person will arrive at. The only way is to get a selection of springs and a set of the five rubber shim pads and experiment until you find the most suitable - a long process.
I have a set of 'AMG' so called euro spec uprated for a 43. If anyone wants them, they can have them for free, either collect them from me or arrange them to be packed and shipped over. I also have a set of 280 springs which someone can have as well. Also a front and rear roll bar and a few sets of 'AMG' shock absorbers
One thing you can consider is a spring made by MAD Sportif - hard as a tree trunk - makes your fillings chatter, but combined with a beefed Eibach roll bar, holds you to the road like glue...

·
Registered
99 C43 AMG
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which Shim?

Hawkcarl,
What shim are you using front and rear for your car? With your current set up using the 18's, are you rubbing at all? Thanks.
Bey

·
Registered
c43, 280sl, s600
6 Posts
Re: Which Shim?

Hawkcarl,
What shim are you using front and rear for your car? With your current set up using the 18's, are you rubbing at all? Thanks.
Bey
I did not have the shims changed so they are whatever came with the car. I think though that the shim number is #2, but do not know for sure.

I do have a very minor rubbing when having four people in the car. The tires does not rub against the chassis of the car though, the rubbing is only against the plastic inner wheelhouse fitting and when going into a “dip�. Sorry for the poor explanation, I do not know the correct word for the part.

For better cornering and front-end traction, but worse tire wear, I have changed/increased the toe-in by 2 degrees.
Hawkcarl

·
Registered
99 C43 AMG
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody want them?

I recently purchased the "Euro Spec AMG" springs from Gert in Belgium. (Excellent and fast service by Gert Carnewal, BTW!) I put them on, and put about 60 miles on them and don't like them. They lowered the car about 3/4 of an inch (depending on what shim you use). Guess I'm just used to my stiff ride with H&R's.

Anybody want them...$300+shipping...or offer. I paid about $350 for them. Again, almost brand new with only 60 miles on them. I'm either going back to my H&R's or would consider trade for slightly used eibach's. I'm in the SF Bay Area.
Thanks

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
Re: Anybody want them?

I recently purchased the "Euro Spec AMG" springs from Gert in Belgium. (Excellent and fast service by Gert Carnewal, BTW!) I put them on, and put about 60 miles on them and don't like them. They lowered the car about 3/4 of an inch (depending on what shim you use). Guess I'm just used to my stiff ride with H&R's.

Anybody want them...$300+shipping...or offer. I paid about $350 for them. Again, almost brand new with only 60 miles on them. I'm either going back to my H&R's or would consider trade for slightly used eibach's. I'm in the SF Bay Area.
Thanks

are they comfortable and how do they handel thanks.

·
Registered
99 C43 AMG
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For my taste, they handle too much like stock and aren't low enough. They do lower the ca...

For my taste, they handle too much like stock and aren't low enough. They do lower the car about 3/4 of an inch, and its been said that they may settle just a bit lower. I prefer the look and feel of my H&R's, but with them, its too low for my 19's. Thinking about trying Eibach. They don't go as low as H&R.

What do you have on yours?

·
Registered
98 mecedes c43
69 Posts
i have the stock ones because if i lower with eibach or one of them my car will touch go...

i have the stock ones because if i lower with eibach or one of them my car will touch going up the driveway and i cant go sideways because the gate is too tight. but i really dont care if it doesnt lower it alot but does it afeects the ride comfort im trying to make it a littel more comfartable more like my old e320 or my e500 because you feel every singel bump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts