Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
w212 E350 4matic, w210 E55
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive been reading alot on this forum about springs and spring pads. mine is now riding on #5 up front and #4 in the back. i just recieved #1 for front and back, and i got h&r sport springs. any of you done this? how much of a drop did you get? does it take a while for them to settle in? i don't care about ride quality. it already rides like crap. the car looks like a 4 wheel drive. well... to me any way. i wonder how much better it would handle? if this don't get me low enough. my installer said he could cut the springs for me. is that ok? i want to go as low as possible. my wheels look small with it at this hieght. thank you for your comments!

·
Registered
2012 ML350, 2005 AMG E55, 1998 E320, 1993 300CE CV Wide Body Twin Turbo
331 Posts
98 e320

i got h&R sports springs and 245/35/19 brabus replica V (no spacers)
the springs settled after about 30-60 days.
ride was better

then i changed pads to #1 front only
looks alot better, ride is still good

then I installed Billstien sports shocks
ride stiffer but drive is much better (forgive me for saying so but, it almost drives like a bmw now)

then i felt it was still a bit high on the front so after long thinking finally decided to cut the front springs. DO NOT CUT MORE THAN 1/4 of 1 COIL. better yet don't cut at all. So now it looks perfect ride is very good and tires clear everywhere even after i installed a 20mm rear spacer.

shortly after i got a new set of rims and tires. carlsson 2/6 brilliant edition with 245/35/19 + 12mm spacer and 275/30/19 with 15mm spacer, tires Pilot sport sp2 or something like that. So now all of a sudden i rub all the time at the point where bumper meets the fender. it was bad. so immediatly i raised the front to pad #3, rubbing all the time is gone but it still rubs. let me explain why same size rim/tire and all of a sudden rubbing: the spacer that I have to install pushed the tire out more. it looks/rides great but doesn't f.....ing clear.

this is just my experience hope it helps

ok to cut but no more than 1/4 of 1 coil. pad #1 is ok. and if your car rides like shit now try sports shocks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hope to get them on tommarrow. i got 19" zenetti lucre's with a 225/35/19. i did a 225 cause at the time i didn't want to go above the factory hieght. a 245/35 is like .5" taller. does that really matter? would a .5" slow you down more? these wheels are starting to look small to me... i hope the lowering helps them. if not im gonna go with a 20" rim. the new zenetti heir looks good i think. and i would mount a 245/30/20 tire on it. about the same hieght and width of a 245/35/19. don't have any pics of it now.. unless you wanna see pics from my cell phone..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah.. to get the springs to settle.. would it help if i drove it real hard for a while? heh

·
Registered
331 Posts
.5" will only make a difference on your odometer and speed reading. You may need to recalibrate it.

Driving your car hard for a while, will help you mess your car up more than it will help you settle the springs. You may want to load the car somewhat equaly and let it sit or drive arround. As far as I know it's the weight of the car that settles the springs. Best bet, let time do it's thing.

20"s on the w210 will require fender work and possibly some cutting. And the ride is not the best on the 20"s, allthough they do look pretty damn sweeeeet.

I do want to see the pics, post them if you can

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wonder how much it would slow it down though?... car is at the garage now...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. got my car back today. but i don't understand something. its sitting about .5" higher on one side. it sat like this BEFORE i changed the springs and spring pads. any one know what the deal could be?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also. i had #5 spring pads and stock springs. i get the #1 spring pads and h&r sport springs, that together only lowered itabout 1.25". i should have gotten about 2" with this setup. right? will it just take a while to settle?

·
Registered
331 Posts
It happens all the time. Is the driver side lower? It will some what equalize with time. Did the installers sit the pad right?

Don't forget each dot for the pad size is 4-5mm so going from #5 to #1 will only supposed to drop about 20mm (1 inch is about 2.65 cm = 26.5mm) so do the math

·
Registered
ML55 ////AMG/GL450
205 Posts
After reading this thread, I'm thinking of dropping my car as well.
I hope you all could help me with this.

I have 18" (235/40/18) wheels on with original spring. I would be satisfy if I could drop around 2" for the front and 1.5" for the back.
If I keep the original springs (like the smoothness), what kind of pad do I need to use in order for me to get that low (2" front, 1.5" rear)

Thank,

I'm going to check out Performance products tom.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
first you should see what spring pad you have. there are 5 different sizes. you can check by jacking your car up and look on the pad. its at the top of the spring and count the little bumps around it. if it has 5 bumps thats a #5 spring pad. the higher the number the thicker the pad. if your wanting to lower your car like 2" your gonna have to get some sport springs, or cut your factory springs. i would recomend getting the h&r springs. i think mine ride better than the factorys. its more stable. im trying to get mine down to about a 2" drop maybe a little more. i don't know how much longer it will take in order for them to settle but, im gonna cut mine to bring it down lower.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have H&R springs for my 2002 E430 and am wondering what the proceedure for removing the front stock springs is. I have done spring replacements on other cars but can not seem to get the stock springs on this car to compress enough to remove them. Any help would appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts