Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz - C230
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I just aquired a set of rear Monoblock rims from a C36 - 17x8.5 offset 30 in very good shape for $200.00

now what my question to you guys who run these rims on your car is the following

1) - what size tire do you run on the rear to keep the speedo correct while driving it

2) - will i have to go to a mercedes dealer to have tires mounted to these style rims as to not damage them

3) - what brand of tire do u feel is best for these rims and why do u run that kind of tire - personal opinions

i did the Discount Tire calculator which tells me i have to purchase the size of 245/45/17 to be almost on the money for the speedo but id like to hear from you guys who actually run these rims on your vehicle and what u like the best about them

thanks for your feedback guys....Jeff

·
Registered
95 C220
1,362 Posts
1. as long as the outer diameter is the same you should be ok... i have 225/45/17 on a 7.5 rim... on an 8.5 there might be some aggressive stretch to it... so i would say go 235 or 245 on it...

2. you can go to any tire shop to have the tires mounted... the damage you're thinking of depends on the person who is installing the tires and not the facility...

3. the tires really depend on you... you can spend major bank on tires or go for cheap ones.. budget it and see how far you'll get and how much you can afford... i have bridgestone potenzas on my ride all around... pretty good and quiet set..

hope i helped even for a lil bit...

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
1. as long as the outer diameter is the same you should be ok... i have 225/45/17 on a 7.5 rim... on an 8.5 there might be some aggressive stretch to it... so i would say go 235 or 245 on it...

2. you can go to any tire shop to have the tires mounted... the damage you're thinking of depends on the person who is installing the tires and not the facility...

3. the tires really depend on you... you can spend major bank on tires or go for cheap ones.. budget it and see how far you'll get and how much you can afford... i have bridgestone potenzas on my ride all around... pretty good and quiet set..

hope i helped even for a lil bit...

:thumbsup:
+1

the tire size calculator is correct. you can choose a wider tread width if you want, but you will have to change the aspect ratio to achieve the same outside diameter. the tire calculators can tell you how much your speedo will be off for each tire size. 1% is like 1mph at 100mph... thats pretty good.

im currently running the bridgestones as well. they were fairly inexpensive for the amount of rubber i have and they have great performance and are quiet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts