Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the bullshit spyware and crap going around there are like 5 major programs out to fix / protect your pc. Ive used em all and so far ove been most happy with Microsoft's response to it all. This program is still in beta but seems to be doing the job well.

thought I might pass it along to you guys.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/5/815d2d60-49b5-44dc-ae35-fca2f2c6f0cc/MicrosoftAntiSpywareInstall.exe

:) deathy

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I would suggest holding off until it goes live. Microsoft Beta products are notorious for doing odd things to your computer.

Apparently, IE7 with built in anti-spyware will go beta this summer. Let's see what that brings about.

And whilst we're at it, lavasoft's utility has given me the best results so far -> http://www.lavasoft.de

·
Registered
1998 MB SLK 230
504 Posts
Mozilla Browser
Nortons Anti-Virus
Nortons Internet Security (Firewall Enabled)
Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6

should set you straight...

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
I would suggest holding off until it goes live. Microsoft Beta products are notorious for doing odd things to your computer.
Ordinarily I'd agree but since this is just a Microsoft branded version of Giants antispyware program it is very stable. This product has been on the market for a while and is one of the best antispyware programs out there. I've been using the one from Giant for some time and swithced to the MS version after MS aquired Giant because it's now free. [:)]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lavasoft hu.... hate to break the news to ya but lavasoft ad aware is no longer the best my friend. they have fallen off the boat and are sinking fast.

just an idea.

·
Registered
SLK 230 98'
88 Posts
I've been using this for a couple of weeks. It is Beta but it has been working ok. The first time I run the scan it found some stuff that PestPatrol wouldn't catch.

My thumbs up.

Rafael

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 /////AMG
128 Posts
Remember one thing - MS never enters a market it doesn't want to dominate. So, in this case, the beta is FREE ONLY for 180 days. After that, they *may* charge a fee.

In that time period, other antispyware companies would have taken the dip, leaving MS as the only choice. Typical of Gates.

Sesh

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
There is a small memory glitch when you have multiple people logged on at the same time. It will run the program under both accounts. One will finish properly, the other will suck resources until it is out of memory.

I generally don't have a problem with Microsoft products. Fundamentally, I have an issue with Microsoft getting in this business. They should spend their resources fixing their holes or pursuing the writers of the viruses, instead of purchasing a patch. As for a repackaged Giant (Romanian software company) product...no they bought them last year.

·
Registered
95 NSX / 98 SLK
382 Posts
bbsilver - 2/16/2005 8:14 PM

They should spend their resources fixing their holes
Unfortunately the only way to really fix the biggest source of holes is to get rid of ActiveX and they can't do that without breaking all sorts of stuff.

Seriously, buy a Mac. Be happy.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
As for a repackaged Giant (Romanian software company) product...no they bought them last year.
I'm not sure what you mean by that? It's clearly Giants antispyware program. It even has the same icons and everything.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
bodypainter - 2/16/2005 7:21 PM

Seriously, buy a Mac. Be happy.

I'll drink to that [8D]

·
Registered
'03 230 SLK
177 Posts
That last thing I would want to do is promote a PC vs MAC argument but I think I'm qualified to make an obversation here. I teach Multimedia and run two labs of 30 computers each at a local high school. In the PC lab I've installed anti Spyware as well as AdAware, this and that and yada yada, but I still have constant, almost daily issues. Once you place a PC on the internet (even with all our safeguards) all hell breaks loose, Now, in the Mac lab, running the same software (Adobe, Macromedia, web browsers ect.) on the same network, what happens? well . . . nothing, they just . . . work. I'm not opposed to PC's, I'm opposed to Microsoft. They couldn't get it right in 1985, and they still haven't.

BTW, headed to Arizona tomorrow, what's the weather going to be like in the Valley of the Sun Deathy?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
last time I try and help you people with your computers.

bodypainter "buy a mac" you show me a mac that can run Counter-strike and not cost $5000 and I'll buy it.

a mac that could run at the speed of my gaming machine would cost about as much as my slk.

and as much as you all hate microsoft fucking grow up! if your bought out by microsoft your not sitting bad and all they will do is fix your shitty software in the 1st place. Look at microsoft. for the ammount of hardware in this world it works with most of it. and your glitches and holes you speak of are not that bad.. it could be a lot worse.

30 computers in a lab makes you qualified? how about 3000 in 3 seperate wan locations with 19 mainframe servers? about 400 VPN users. about 6 thousand users. If I run that (which I do) does that make me qualified?

sit your mac butt down and learn a thing or 2. Microsoft is the only! the one! they are the mall of computers. Lots of different shops in 1 place.

Get over it.

the weather will be around 70 deg hopefully no rain. we live in a tropic now. hit me up 480-200-0371 we can have a beer! be nice to actually meet a board member and talk cars.

--Deathy

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
I got fed up with my kids pc so I got her an iBook and it's been great, no regrets. They claim there is not one known virus for Panther and spyware/adware is minimal. Also, Macs don't slow down like PC's do over time. Would I get one for me, hell know but I'm not a magnet for crap like my kids are. I use Linux at work so I tried Redhat 9 as a desktop and it was OK but long term I found a lot of the free software for email and word processing a little buggy and slow and drivers a pain to find. With the new Mac Mini starting at $500, that's the hot ticket for most people, not for serious gaming but most people I know aren't into serious gaming, most just want office apps, email, AIM, web browser, a game or two, music & video management and CD/DVD burning and they don't seem to want things like viruses, adware and spyware, constant popups and an Pentium IV 3.2mhz system that turns extremely slow in a month after the salesmonkey told them that it was the fastest thing on the planet.

As for Spyware, haven't tried this new MS thing but love Spybot, gets rid of 94.3% of the adware/spyware and then I have spend hours cleaning up the remaining 6.7% with regedit. I'll give it a shot on my kids PC.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
DEATHERAGE - 2/17/2005 12:18 AM
and as much as you all hate microsoft fucking grow up!
Chill man... let's use a slightly less colorful language, this is an automotive forum.
30 computers in a lab makes you qualified? how about 3000 in 3 seperate wan locations with 19 mainframe servers? about 400 VPN users. about 6 thousand users. If I run that (which I do) does that make me qualified?
The network I administer is composed of millions of objects in an Active Directory based domain spanning several forests. Think hundreds of thousands of users.
What does that prove? Just that I have several years worth of experience under my wings working in multiconglomerate Fortune 500 companies.

Seriously, with some of the 'things' you spout on about here, it makes me wonder what exactly you would be doing on such a network... because running a network upwards of a few thousand users no longer becomes a simple task, no matter what you do. Unless your policies have locked down each and every workstation up to bank level.

Guess what. At home, I have my own little domain. I haven't installed anti-virus tools on my computers. I don't necessarily download the latest updates for my computers every day. Neither do I install anti-spyware tools on the PC's. And yes, they are Windows based machines. All I have is a firewall, and yet, I haven't had a single virus attack at home, nor are my computers infected with spyware (I check them occasionally, roughly every 3 months).

Why don't I have any problems?

Probably because I never open attachments in mails (or even refuse to receive the mail if it seems to come from questionable sources), and I don't visit every single website left right and center (you know what I mean... pr0n, hax0r stuff, etc...).

So what exactly is the reason for not installing 'security' methods on my personal lan? Well, I'm in charge of it, so I know I won't mess it up. And I want ALL the speed I can get for my home computers, so I keep any programs that I don't need, off them. If I MUST check out stuff that could potentially harm my machine, I just launch a non-modifiable VPC that has been excluded from my personal network and resided on a VLAN, and once I've finished messing with it, I just shut it down. Even if a virus were to attack that machine, the changes are not written to disk, bringing my machine back to the original 'perfect' state.

This is a COMPLETELY different thing at work. We have professional proxies, antivirus tools, etc... you cannot expect users to follow the rules, because rules have always been made to be broken.

And concerning Microsoft's domination. Well, they've been loosing the position slowly in the past few years. Macs are selling, as are Linux boxes. And look at your Merc. It was most likely designed on a Linux box, since Daimler-Chrysler has a huge Unix/Linux information park (although word is out that they're using Microsoft products for an increasingly large number of things these days).

p.s. Lavasofts anti-spyware product was rated the best one quite recently. But Microsoft will be bound to overtake that with time. Especially if it ends up being packaged with IE7 (as the rumors go, it will be released in beta form this summer).

·
Registered
95 NSX / 98 SLK
382 Posts

bodypainter "buy a mac" you show me a mac that can run Counter-strike and not cost $5000 and I'll buy it.

a mac that could run at the speed of my gaming machine would cost about as much as my slk.
Counterstrike? Sorry, my criteria for a good computer doesn't include how well it plays games (that's more the function of a good video card anyway). Instead, I want one that does a great job processing my digital pictures, building my web sites, helping me write programs, managing my music, etc. Even better I want my computer to let me read and write email and browse the web without fear of something tragic happening at any moment to my machine.

As for cost, well yeah they do cost more if not as much as you think. But then this is a Mercedes board and not a Kia or Hundai board. The people here are obviously willing to pay an extra bit for quality that lasts.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DONT YOU KNOW COMPUTER GAMES RUN THIS BIZ!

Because lavasoft got an award they are the best? I can run lava soft, then run 4 other programs to clean up what it missed. Its a shitty ass program! The BETA of microsofts spyware program gets what everything else doesnt and then some. My god why cant you see that its better. IVE TESTED IT! I am telling you a real life senario

shin makes u wonder what im doing with my network/?

We do a few things actually. We run a church, a hospital, and a tech firm. We have a call center in germany running a Nortel Meridian Phone switch about 1000 ports. We have a mirror system here in the states at the hospital.

People work from home, Doctors ect....

if you want an in dept discription e-mail me. I'll even send ya some pics of our server cluster / phone system.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
DEATHERAGE - 2/17/2005 12:57 PM

DONT YOU KNOW COMPUTER GAMES RUN THIS BIZ!
Actually, no.

The software business makes more money then the games industry. I should know, I worked in the games industry.

And do you want to know what kind of data takes up most of the internets backbone these days? It's pr0n, pure and simple.

Because lavasoft got an award they are the best? I can run lava soft, then run 4 other programs to clean up what it missed. Its a shitty ass program! The BETA of microsofts spyware program gets what everything else doesnt and then some. My god why cant you see that its better. IVE TESTED IT! I am telling you a real life senario
Try reversing your test. The reason lavasoft got the award, was not necessarily because it was able to clean out everything during the review, but because it was able to clean out most efficiently.

Say you have 200 spyware files on your PC. You run app#1, which cleans out 150 files. You then run app#2, which removes an additional 40 files.

Now reverse the roles. Run app#2, which removes 130 files, and then run app#1, which removes an additional 40 files.

In case number 1, the total number of infections removed totalled 190 files. In case number two, the total number of infections removed, only totalled 170. So at a first glance, it would seem that lavasofts tool indeed performs for the worst. But the difference comes from the fact that depending on the order you run these tools, you will get better results with the order that first runs the most efficient tool first.

After all, most spyware uses dependencies, and if you break the dependency during the cleanup using one tool, another one will perform for the worst. But a tool which is kept up to date with the most recent definition files, will be able to function best.

I've also used several spyware removing tools, and have found lavasofts version to perform best. However, to truly clean up a machine from them in the first place, you need to run several applications to scrub them down efficiently.

I'll even send ya some pics of our server cluster / phone system.
Trust me. You don't want to see our server room in Europe. 1200 DC's and 830 Exchange servers are just the tip of the ice berg.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts