Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 M3 auto and cant wait to upgrade to the C32 (yes, I placed an order 6mo. ago).m The auto in the M3 takes 1 full sec. longer to 60mph than the stick , making performance Acura-like. C32 clicks off the same mph in 1.3 seconds LESS than the auto M3...exactly want I am looking for. I even considered the supercharger and boy-toy mods for my '97M, but that gets me to the price of a new C32...I opted out of getting a new M3 as the style is terrible, like a Z3, has only 2 doors and no auto avai at launch. Even when they get an auto I was concerned performance to 60 would again be poor as in the E36 example. Regarding price, I have no doubt the new M3 will cost as much as the C32, option-to-option, and then tack on the dealer gouging. No thanks. (I have a Benz dealer that does not gouge, never has). Interiors and appointments...well I drove the M3 this week from LA to San Francisco and it was punnishing on my back and legs, nto to mention the exteeme road noise. I'd prefer more comfort and M3's arent about that. If I were an empry nester or in low 20's I'd get the M3. I also prefer exclusivity and safety, both a + by Benz.<br>Lastly, those of you coming from the Bimmer-forum should chill out. They are different cars for diff needs.<p>: OK, I know that the new M3 will ride on 300+ horses but I sure would rather go for a C32. How much more horsepower will it have over the new M3? Thanks! <p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I know that the new M3 will ride on 300+ horses but I sure would rather go for a C32. How much more horsepower will it have over the new M3? Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: OK, I know that the new M3 will ride on 300+ horses but I sure would rather go for a C32. How much more horsepower will it have over the new M3? Thanks! <p><p>The M will have about 330 HP, the C32 will have around 345 hp, stick to benz, much nicer and much more rare than BMW (every kid has one!)<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks!

: : OK, I know that the new M3 will ride on 300+ horses but I sure would rather go for a C32. How much more horsepower will it have over the new M3? Thanks! <p><p>The M will have about 330 HP, the C32 will have around 345 hp, stick to benz, much nicer and much more rare than BMW (every kid has one!)<p><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually it's 354HP as stated by MB-AMG, 0-62mph in 5.2sec

: : OK, I know that the new M3 will ride on 300+ horses but I sure would rather go for a C32. How much more horsepower will it have over the new M3? Thanks! <p><p>The M will have about 330 HP, the C32 will have around 345 hp, stick to benz, much nicer and much more rare than BMW (every kid has one!)<p><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Different Strokes For Different Folks

The C32 has about 10 more hp, but weighs more also. The Bimmer has bigger wheels and tires and a 6-speed. And the Bimmer has NO spare!!!<p>And let's not forget the door count.<p>For a kick butt street sedan...C32. If you want 8000 rpm and a 6-speed sport coupe for $50k, then get the M3. I'll bet many buyers will choose the C32 just to get the auto trans. I know several people that bought E55s over M5 for that reason.<p>I'm told the new M3 will me scarcer than its predecessor: limited engine manufacturing capacity. And AMG is gearing up C32 production. So I don't thing the C32 will be that rare relative to the M3.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reliability issue

The AMG is more reliable than the M3. Amg has less engine problems and stuff like that. about production, I seem to have read somewhere that BMW will be sending 100,000 M3s to the US but I'm not sure about it.<br>I personally would choose the C55 because of the reliability issue although I like the looks of the M3 better from what I have seen in magazines.<br>Correct me if I'm wrong to say that BMW cars depreciate faster than MB.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure how many M3s BMW are sending, but C32 is ltd to 3500 worldwide/yr

Someone on this tread had posted US planned to send 100K to the US...although that may be a little high, I highly doubt that the M3's exclusivity or numbers would be as limited as the C32...plus the M5 was suppose to be 'limited edition' but they still cranked out a ton of those to suit demands...<p>Plus my bad, 349 looks to be the C32 HP for NA and 330HP for M3 in NA<p>: The C32 has about 10 more hp, but weighs more also. The Bimmer has bigger wheels and tires and a 6-speed. And the Bimmer has NO spare!!!<p>And let's not forget the door count.<p>For a kick butt street sedan...C32. If you want 8000 rpm and a 6-speed sport coupe for $50k, then get the M3. I'll bet many buyers will choose the C32 just to get the auto trans. I know several people that bought E55s over M5 for that reason.<p>I'm told the new M3 will me scarcer than its predecessor: limited engine manufacturing capacity. And AMG is gearing up C32 production. So I don't thing the C32 will be that rare relative to the M3.<br><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually it's 349hp in the U.S. (more)

All of the info so far has been from Europe and the figures are for metric horsepower ("PS" in German). 1PS is close to 1HP(US) but not exact. The correct conversion for the C32 engine specs is 349hp and 332ft-lb.<p>Also, you guys are comparing the U.S.-spec M3 power of 330HP. It is 343PS in Europe.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Horsepower

US M3: 330hp / 255lb-ft<br>US C32: 349hp / 332ft-lb<p>The difference of 19hp isn't really that much when both cars have so much power to begin with. However, the extra of 77lb-ft of torque is going to be quite noticible.<p>Of course, this assumes the US C32 will not be de-tuned like the US M3 is.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I assume you're referring to the M3...

I assume that the European M3 wouldn't pass U.S. emissions or fuel economy standards. I guess it was easier for BMW to reduce the horsepower than to modify the design. Still, it's not that much. The european M3 with 343hp (metric) would translate to about 338hp in the U.S. That means U.S. cars have only 8hp less than european cars. That sure beats the E36 M3 where european cars had 80hp more than U.S. versions (the European versions did cost alot more, though).<p><br>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts