Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
CLK500 - ML320
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've almost had it with the build quality of my 2002 ML320 and I get nothing but problems, my friends Explorer is built better than this Mercedes, sure it's amazing in the snow, and is extremely safe, but the fact that I spend so much trying to maintain this vehicle doesnt seem logical to me, especially to a car that is so far behind than it's competitors. This might be my post to throw the towel in on this car, and I'm sad to say it... I had so much faith in this SUV but it's let me down, and Mercedes is doing absolutely nothing to keep me as a customer, will I buy the W164? Probably not, but we'll see...

My question is this... Has anyone test driven the Porsche Cayenne S? How does it compare in quality? I know the service costs for this car is fairly high because it is a Porsche, but from what I hear this SUV is basically maintaince free because of an excellent build quality, can anyone chime in? BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne???

·
Registered
2000 ML55 AMG
9 Posts
Vik,
Sorry to hear about your planned departure. I've got an ML55 and although I do agree that Mercedes definately slipped in the quality department over the years, wait until your friend's Ford "exploder" reaches 30-40k. I've owned many cars from almost every manufacturer out there. Mercedes is just trying to hard to satisfy two devils (shareholders and customers). The business model in the auto industry allow for a percentage of disgruntled customers (sort of like insurance actuary tables). Alright, I'll get off my soapbox.

The ML is manufactured in Alabama. That's like sending the blueprints of a stealth bomber over to Croatia and expecting a plane that will fly. Do I need do go any further?

I wish you luck in your quest for a quality vehicle and feel your pain, but since I let go of my expectations many years ago, my pain is less.

-Ayns
PS-I've owned several Porsches and they are definately following in Mercedes' footsteps when it comes to sacrificing quality for mass-production. Although you should drive the Cayenne, it's a sweet ride!

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
Vik:
I feel your pain. None of my MB's have given me this much grief[}:)] This car "pimped me" like no other. I actually grabbed me a new F150 to do some of the pulling and towing that I am afraid to do in the ML. Its odd that I dont worry about the things in the Ford like I do with the ML, like issues that will leave you stranded at 2am[:(] And as far as depreciation, they both fall off at the same pace. Dealers hate the ML, due to the build quality. When I dumped my first one, the dealers basically offered me a 6pk of Heineken for the truck. I grabbed another one for a steal because the dealer must have offered the prior owner a bag of rocks for it. Mercedes came up very lame with the ML. The build quality was worse than a Kia. If I didnt own my other Mercedes, there is no way I would buy another one. Luckily all of my others still start up and run without any problems, regardless of the age or miles they have. I have reached 500,000 miles on one of them and its more reliable than the ML. My brother has a Porsche that he enjoys alot. It has been in repair for little issues, but nothing like the ML. You may want to log onto a Porsche board and inquire about what type of problems they have experienced prior to purchase. This has to be the best board that I have ever been part of, but must say that we have more casualties than victories with our ML's[B)]

·
Registered
536 Posts
Vik, you don't have to stop posting just because you're getting rid of your ML. Stop by every now and again and say hello.

Good Luck with whatever Vehicle you choose.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,033 Posts
Toureg V10 TDI ... you gotta love that
Except that the two people I know that own them hate them - they say they are worse than the 98 ML as far as problems go.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
'08 Acura MDX
3,108 Posts
Vik - 3/8/2005 11:15 PM
My question is this... Has anyone test driven the Porsche Cayenne S? How does it compare in quality? I know the service costs for this car is fairly high because it is a Porsche, but from what I hear this SUV is basically maintaince free because of an excellent build quality, can anyone chime in? BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne???
Check out the Cayenne forums for owner experiences. Try Roadfly or <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=77" target=new>Rennlist</a>. At first, new owners were raving. Now, they're starting to complain quite a bit. Here's an interesting post titled "Is the Cayenne Bad?" at <a href="http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=1c96f74f16f15758c0e560fb82ea17e4&threadid=22676" target=new>6SpeedOnline</a> ... an excerpt follows ...

quote:

Originally posted by jamy85
I had a couple of minor problems but they were all fixed. Dont worry Cayenne328 most of these minor problems are only on the older models.

yep, it's just the "old" ones. here is a "quality control" campaign Porsche issued just five months ago for new cayennes sitting on dealer lots. it is comprised of a few of the problems they've figured out how to fix. there are over 100 TSBs on this abortion in its little over two years of production. the rest of the problems are still "normal" until and if they do figure em out:

Memorandum
To: From: Date
Porsche Service Managers Porsche AfterSales Publications 9-27-04
Subject:
Cayenne Quality-Improvement Workshop Campaign FalljWinter 2004
Replaces Memorandum dated 9-21-04
Note: Please replace the previous memorandum that was featured in the W501-W525
Binder with this updated memorandum. See information in bold text below.
For Vehicles in Dealer Inventory during October, November and December 2004
Porsche Cars North America is initiating a quality-improvementworkshop campaign on
2003 Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo vehicles as well as 2004 Cayenne (V6), Cayenne S
and Cayenne Turbo vehicles. The affected vehicles are currently in your Porsche dealer
inventory during the month of October, November and December of 2004. There are also a
limited number of 2005 Cayenne (V6); Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbo vehicles that may be
affected by this quality-improvement workshop campaign as well.
A VIN specific list of vehicles in your inventory is included in this information package. We
will provide you with an updated list through out this workshop campaign.
The listed work procedure within the framework of these workshop campaigns
must be completed before the vehicles are delivered to the new Porsche Owners.
This series of actions will be applicable to the vehicles listed in the VIN-range
including the vehicles that may have already been delivered to retail customers.
Please complete these affected vehicles if they return to your dealership for any
reason during this time period.
We ask you to perform the following checks in addition to the normal PDI procedure for
vehicles in your New-Car inventory. A PDI "New Vehicle Arrival" check sheet (from Service
Technical Information Bulletin, Group 0, #0302) has been included at the end of the Quality-
Improvement information in this binder for your convenience.
Each dealership will receive an initial supply of parts required for the range of workshop
actions. Please order additional parts as required. There are some actions where only limited
parts are available. This is noted below the Workshop Action and Parts Customer
Service will have to release parts in these cases.
Campaign Check #1:
W501 Workshop Campaign:
Check and Adjust Rear Window in Tailgate to correct rattle
850 Vehicles involved
Memorandum
Campaign Check #2
W502 Workshop Campaign
Check and Adjust Rear Lid to correct rattle in Rear
562 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #3
W503 Workshop Campaign (for Kessy and without Kessy)
Door Handle does not return to rest position after actuating
4,469 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #4
W505 Workshop Campaign
New Wiper Blades - Install
411 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #5
W506 Workshop Campaign
Remote Radio Control for Doors and/or Rear Door does not function
322 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #6
W507 Workshop Campaign
Check and/or Replace the Air Conditioning Control Panel
492 Vehicles involved
Limited parts are available for this workshop campaign. Please contact Parts Customer Service to release
parts 955.653.105.02 and 955.653.106.02.
Campaign Check #7
W508 Workshop Campaign
Check and/or Replace Rear Window Washer Nozzle
414 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #8
W509 Workshop Campaign
Replacing Brake Pads
91 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #9
W510 Workshop Campaign
Insufficient Range of Remote Control
6,406 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #10
W511 Workshop Campaign
Checking Front and Rear Door Locks
5,611 Vehicles involved
Most vehicles will require only the Scope 1 function test. Very few vehicles will actually require Scope 2 or 3;
as a result, limited parts are available for this workshop campaign. Please contact Parts Customer Service to
release the required parts.
Campaign Check #11
W513 Workshop Campaign
Retrofitting Cover for Window Guide on Front Door Window
2,315 Vehicles involved
Memorandum
Campaign Check #12
W515 Workshop Campaign
Replacing the Tiptronic ECU
5,569 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #13
W517 Workshop Campaign
Replacing Rear Wiper Arm and Cap
3,866 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #14
W518 Workshop Campaign
Replacing Rear Wiper Arm Cap
676 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #15
W520 Workshop Campaign
Wiper Blades smear and rub
6,482 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #16
W521 Workshop Campaign
Noise in Rear when braking
664 Vehicles involved
Replace Parts Only if Necessary. Limited parts are available for this workshop action. Please contact
Parts Customer Service to release the required parts.
Campaign Check #17
W523 Workshop Campaign
Replacing both Spring Shocks for Rear Lid
1,136 Vehicles involved
Campaign Check #18
W525 Workshop Campaign
Replacing Trim Strips
1,276 Vehicles involved
Limited parts are available for this workshop action. Please contact Parts Customer Service to release parts
000.043.206.02 and 955.559.038.01.4W9.
Porsche Owners who have recently taken delivery of a Cayenne vehicle mayor may not be affected by these
actions. If they are in the VIN-range however, please complete these eligible vehicles as well.
Warranty Administration Procedures:
Please review each Workshop Campaign for their individual labor operations and scopes.
Labor and Parts will be automatically inserted based on the scope of the Workshop Campaign being claimed.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Porsche Cars North America, Inc., AfterSales Publications
RSjrs
9/27/04

Sound familiar? [}:)][;)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts