Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I scraped the remnants of the hood pad in anticipation of the engine transplant. While I was there, I took some photos of a few things that I'm unfamiliar with.

This first photo, anyone know what this unplugged plug is for on the right side (passenger) of the engine compartment up front? The second photo is above it, a vertical cylinder with ribbed walls--is this a tower for suspension components? Also, in this photo aside from the chunk of hood pad at the bottom (I'll ask the guys to shop-vac it out, and I did lay down plastic sheets when I took off the remnants) there appears to be several splotches of discoloration on the ribbed walls. It didn't look like rust but any ideas or is that normal? I just wonder what repainting that area would be like.

The third photo, the left side C-pillar cover (some call it a sail panel) has detached. The headliner has been sagging for a while, but may have gotten worse since I last saw the car a few months ago. Has anyone seen this happen before and could the weight of the headliner vinyl on the edges/corners cause the sail panel to pull away? Any surprise clips that might have been damaged as a result?

[TRIG Plug right hand side under hood.jpg GER_ATTACHMENT][/TRIGG vertical cylinder under hood.jpg ER_ATTACHMENT] C-pillar detachment.jpg

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,085 Posts
1. My guess is the ABS connector for the right front wheel. On second thought, I don't know what this is. Wait, it might be the fog light connector. Horn? Sorry!
2. That ribbed cylinder is your coil spring.
3. Headliner droop is, unfortunately, very common. The C-pillar clips are pretty robust but may have pulled out of the plastic panel. I doubt the headliner contributed to this.

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
189 Posts
In the first pic it could be the connector for air pump. Is there a male and female connector disconnected from each other? If so then you will find where it goes by following the cable from the male connector.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
In the first pic it could be the connector for air pump. Is that a male and female connector disconnected from each other?
Having done away with one of mine, Heikkif is correct.

That photo is of the two halves of the smog pump electrical connector.
Oftentimes, the pump innards will corrode from moisture/its electromagnetic clutch harness or windings short > causing fuse 5 to blow as soon as the cold engine starts.
During diagnosis/testing, 5 would not blow with the key in position II without the engine running.

I had quite a time sussing that one out on my '87 US version 560SEC.

Good luck Drew,

MBL

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 5.22.41 AM.png

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Since its been this way for a long time, is it anything for me to be concerned about/corrected? Particularly in light of the newly rebuilt engine/transplant/Tri-Ys to come. It must have been disconnected by a mechanic in the past.

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
189 Posts
You can check if the pump might work by spinning it by hand. The triangular thing at the middle of the pulley should spin more or less freely. Most probably there is something wrong with the pump as it has been disconnected. New winding packages for the clutch are available and bearings too. Other parts not.
Here is what is inside of the pump:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terrific, thank you Heikkif.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts